Hello darlings

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
redjay

Hello darlings

Post by redjay » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I might hang out here for a while. It's a bit less intense than exmo reddit. Mormon since 11 yrs old. Non-mormon community. Mission. Married within 3 months of mission, first kid 9 months later. More kids. lots of school. All as we're supposed to do.

I don't know when the rot set in/my liberation started. I remember years ago reading Kerry Shirts (apologist) web site and sending him an email in gratitude - this was early days of the internet. For some reason about a year or so ago I decided to do a google search for Kerry only to find out he had stepped away from the LDS church - that gave me a wobble (here was an informed dedicated defender of the faith saying it was bunkum - if he couldn't be sure it, what about the rest of us less informed guys and gals?), but I was too busy to give it serious consideration.
Anyway I thought I had answers for all the anti-mormon stuff it was lies, half truths - Bruce R said that Adam God was never an issue, the Masonic Influence on the temple was only due to the mason having a corrupted version of the endowment etc. So when my teenagers started falling away I would respect their will but tell them the church was true, even if it was not perfect.

But I found church boring, oodles and oodles of tedium. With the internet we had the blogosphere and Times and Seasons had some meaty stuff going on, deeper doctrinal questions and ideas. Someone on Times and Seasons mentioned Rough Stone Rolling (it was either just coming out or had not been out long). So I gave it a bash. But I just parked any faith troubling questions. I then read the Biography of Brigham Young by Turner, it didn't challenge my faith but it broke my long-standing hero worship of Brigham. But what really set me off was a facebook link to the Hans Mattson story in the NY Times. I then listened to his interview on Mormon Stories and I went on youtube and watched videos about the church (non-approved ones): the Hans Mattson and you tube vids were read. listened to and watched in about two days, and my shelf was upside down. I'm a little fuzzy of the time line now, but I think I held off for about 8 months before doing anything else. I spoke with my wife and let her know I had questions but I would hold off (I had some severe professional commitments that took up most of my time). When my commitments abated I sat down and examined the Book of Abraham. My wife had said previously have you checked the sources? So I went and read as deeply as I could, in the end the LDS apologist arguments did not work. Everything else could be argued, BOM, Polyandry... but the facsimile translations were wrong and were irrefutable proof that Joseph could not do what he claimed. On the polygamy front it seemed to me that if Joseph did practice polygamy then he was a liar, because he denied it. If Joseph didn't practice polygamy, Brigham was a liar because he said that Joseph did. Either way check-mate the church the LDS church was scuppered.

So I resigned from the bishopric - my Stake Presidency were very supportive and understanding. I looked at what the church was offering, by virtue of being an RM, educated and in the UK I was looking at being the next Bishop and spending the next 20 years shoulder to the wheel. I could see no point, and no fulfilment. My temple rec has lapsed. I still attend, I enjoy the hymns and my wife is still devout. However my wife knows that I would never lead her wrong, and if I say there is something amiss, there is something amiss - she has read the CES letter (over a year ago) but won't discuss. She knows I would be very much less active if she and my younger kids did not want to go. Putting too much distance between me and the church would cause serious health problems for one of my parents. So in a way compromising my integrity and not being wholly transparent is probably the most charitable thing I can do. I'm still in the anger stage with the organisation. I have no intention of keeping any mormon commandment unless it is within what I feel is good for me and mine, e.g. smoking tobacco is a no no, and martial fidelity is important, also rolling in drunk would upset my younger kids.

OK that's me, not the most riveting read but hey ho - it said 'introductions' so now you have one.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Red Ryder

Re: Hello darlings

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Welcome! I think this was also post 10,000. A simple milestone for NOM 2.0

Edited to add: Kerry posts over on the Mormon Discussions forum as Philo Sofee.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

It's nice to have you here in our ward family.

I'm in a similar situation with my parents. Openly leaving and or denying the faith would exacerbate some health issues with my TBM mom.

I don't think you are compromising your integrity by continuing to go to church. You have a right to keep your beliefs private and support your family. :)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for sharing your story.

I believe that I also first heard about Rough Stone Rolling from Times and Seasons. I asked people at church about it over the next few months, I guess kind of trying to determine whether it was credible and not something along the lines of No Man Knows My History (which I was curious about but hadn't read because I was nervous about possible false but compelling arguments discrediting Joseph Smith). But no one had heard of it, including the Institute director. (I used to get a little frustrated because I couldn't find anyone else who liked to read even the most orthodox books that went a little deeper than the lesson manuals.) Eventually I discovered someone in another ward who owned it, but hadn't read it. That was good enough for me, so I read it myself.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:49 pm

I wish Kerry could put on his Backyard Professor video director's uniform and make a video of the FAIRMormon Conference this August in the rooster fighting pit at the Lehi Feed & Grain Store. Seeing that event through his new perspective would be fun. Has anyone heard the rumor that Kellyanne Conway might be the keynote apologist?

This place would have to be better than the ex-mo forum since it has 87.5% less angst and anger.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm

A Rough Rolling Stone is awesome. You can actually see where both sides make claims and you get to sort of choose for yourself. There are countless quotes and paragraphs that I've read on multiple websites for and against the church. Excellent read and from what I know it's very very factual. Long read too!! Lol

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks for the responses.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 am

Cool to have another European perspective on here. I hope you will contribute regularly.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:00 pm

redjay wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 pm
OK that's me, not the most riveting read but...
Disagree. I doubt I'll ever tire of hearing folk's exit stories.

And...

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:46 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:00 pm
redjay wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 pm
OK that's me, not the most riveting read but...
Disagree. I doubt I'll ever tire of hearing folk's exit stories.
Diddo
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:44 pm

It's great to have you here! I agree with everyone else - it's always fascinating to read the exit stories. The list of reasons for leaving is huge, and each journey is unique. I look forward to your posts!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Just adding my welcome to the group.

Lots of good advice here. Hope to hear more from you.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 am

Welcome to the ward. It is a great place for those who have to remain in the middle.

AzCommando

Post by AzCommando » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:49 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:28 am
Welcome to the ward. It is a great place for those who have to remain in the middle.
or beyond.... :lol: