Glad to see you

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
crossmyheart

Glad to see you

Post by crossmyheart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am

I was on the NOM 1.0 but have been on the upswing away from church activity for the past year or more. Recently things are starting to swing the other way so I am back.

Bio:
BIC, served mission to Arizona in early 90's, MIT, DH served mission to Toronto early 90's- he is TBM at heart but lives more of an apostate life. My family is TBM with some NOM. His family is a mix of TBM and never-mo.

My shelf started to crack in 2011 after some shady church dealings with a distant family member and came crashing down in 2012 after much family strife over the situation. I can't go into much detail, but it was clear then that you can buy anything in this world with money, including eternal salvation.

I have only attended sacrament twice so far this year, but will have to get active again due to family vacations, etc. Not looking forward to it. I recently informed my DH that I will be removing my name from the records once my mother dies. He was not as receptive as I thought, but we have a strong marriage and support each other.

I will probably lurk more than post- but glad to be back!

Vlad the Emailer

Re: Glad to see you

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Crossmyheart.

Welcome back to NOM.

I'm glad you found version 2.0!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:24 pm

We are glad you found us. The NOM 2.0 ward does not have a home teaching program to track down inactive members. We do have a semi-active lunch program, however.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 am

Welcome. I'd love to hear the story of a relative buying eternal salvation if you want/can share.

Good luck on the pendulum swing.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 am

Welcome! Always nice to hear some positivity about a mixed-faith marriage.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 am

I have only attended sacrament twice so far this year, but will have to get active again due to family vacations, etc. Not looking forward to it.
Isn't family vacation, the time you normally skip church? why would this force you into activity?

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Welcome back CMH!

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

LostMormon wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 am
crossmyheart wrote:

I have only attended sacrament twice so far this year, but will have to get active again due to family vacations, etc. Not looking forward to it.
Isn't family vacation, the time you normally skip church? why would this force you into activity?
I should be more specific- both my mother and my mother-in-law are taking vacations to come see our children this summer. Both of them know we are inactive, but while they visit, full participation in church is expected and enforced. I am willing to compromise on this to keep the peace. It is not worth the pouting and tears from them. They are both in their 80's and I have no intention to try to change their minds.

PalmSprings

Post by PalmSprings » Sat May 13, 2017 9:48 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
My shelf started to crack in 2011 after some shady church dealings with a distant family member and came crashing down in 2012 after much family strife over the situation. I can't go into much detail, but it was clear then that you can buy anything in this world with money, including eternal salvation.
Wow my interest is certainly piqued at this point about what happened. In any case welcome to NOM!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Glad you found us, crossmyheart!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."