Pleased to Meet You!

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Snowdrop

Pleased to Meet You!

Post by Snowdrop » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:46 am

Greetings to all! I had been lurking on NOM 1.0 for a couple months right before it went down ant did not realize how much I had come to enjoy reading your thoughtful, heartfelt, and civil comments on relationships with church. I am so pleased that the community is back and look forward to contributing!

A little about me:

BIC, met dh at BYU while skipping FHE, MIT, two littles. I started having serious doubts about the church while at BYU but didn't research as I knew that I needed to keep my ecclesiastical endorsement to continue my studies. Since graduating a few years ago, I have earnestly studied my concerns. Initially I had hoped to come to a better understanding of polygamy and the place of my dear LGBTQ friends within the church. The more I have learned the more my heart has broken. DH is very TBM and while he knows of my dissatisfaction with the church I don't think he fully understands my viewpoints. For now I have agreed to continue attending with our children.

Thank you all for creating a supportive community that I feel comfortable joining. I look forward to joining the conversation!

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: Pleased to Meet You!

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 am

Snowdrop, welcome! You're right, the disillusionment for most of us is absolutely heart-breaking and very difficult for our still-believing family/friends to understand. I'm so glad you're joining the conversation!
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Welcome, I can relate a lot to your experience.

Thanks for sharing.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Welcome Snowdrop!

I can definitely relate to the heartbreak you've gone through, and probably still are going through. Letting go of the beliefs I held to so tightly, for so long, with so many childhood memories has been a difficult thing for me to do.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Thank you for the welcome! Here's to learning to let go and heal.
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Welcome Snowdrop :) Glad you joined. You're in good company.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Welcome. WE look forward to your contributions. Lurking is great but participation is better for all of us.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:07 am

Welcome, Snowdrop! It's great to have you here!

You describe what so many of us have been through in some manner - I can promise you this is a great group to be in when you are struggling, hurting, questioning or need a sanity check. I look forward to your posts and to hearing about your journey.

It hurts when your heart is broken - especially when it's through the actions or dishonesty of an organization calling itself a church. Please consider trying to separate the LDS organization (and way of doing things) from faith in general - that might help you center yourself in terms of where God and Christ are in your beliefs or as a result of this experience.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:44 am

Definitely welcome to NOM. This is the place where you can get support from others who understand. I know that when I stumbled in here almost 7 years ago, it saved my life and my sanity just to know I wasn't the only one.

Welcome.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:26 am

I also graduated from BYU. We should start a New Order Alumni group.........or not. :lol: Welcome
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Silver, excellent advice. Some days are better than others when it comes to defining the divine and my relationship with it rather than the system of worship I was taught at church. I have always known that the God I believed in was not that of many within the church. That said, I do get angry at the deity in whom I used to have unwavering faith. Currently, I am trying to figure out what I believe. I do believe in a greater something, but have not come to a conclusion when as to whether or not that can be personified.

Hips, this has already been a most excellent alternative to allowing myself to retreat to the darkness that I am prone to when I cannot adequately express myself. I am truly grateful to those who started this community.

Deacon, YES! That would be an fantastic group!
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 am

deacon blues wrote:I also graduated from BYU. We should start a New Order Alumni group.........or not. :lol: Welcome
That would be fun! I've got two degrees from the Lord's university.

Good luck Snowdrop! Hopefully you'll be able to get out someday. Still attending here... Posting this in SM.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:49 am

Jinx wrote:
deacon blues wrote:I also graduated from BYU. We should start a New Order Alumni group.........or not. :lol: Welcome
That would be fun! I've got two degrees from the Lord's university.

Good luck Snowdrop! Hopefully you'll be able to get out someday. Still attending here... Posting this in SM.
You have two degrees from Notre Dame? I'm impressed!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg