I finally found you :)

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
sc89

I finally found you :)

Post by sc89 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:31 am

I rarely posted, but read on the old site every couple of days for the last 3 years. I have missed you all. :D

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: I finally found you :)

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:10 am

We believe in the gathering of all the scattered NOMS and in a complete restoration of their former glory :) . . . sorry for that bit of coffee-fueled silliness. I do get warm fuzzies as members of the old board make their way here. Welcome!
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:15 am

sc89 wrote:I rarely posted, but read on the old site every couple of days for the last 3 years. I have missed you all. :D
So glad you found us! Welcome :)
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:21 am

Welcome Home, thou good and faithful lurker! (And periodic poster!). :)
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

sc89

Post by sc89 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:16 am

I guess I should give some sort of actual introduction ;)

I was BIC, married in the temple at 19yo, have 6 kids (currently 16yo - 25yo). I have been Primary President, in the YW presidency several times, and taught various classes in primary, YW, SS, and RS. When I was PP was where I first started seeing that something was not ok here. The Bishop and I butted heads on many things and he tended to call people to positions in primary, sustain them, then talk to me about his decision. We did not get along. He also went through 5 PPs in his 4 1/2 years as Bishop. It was another 4 yrs or so before it all fell apart and I stopped attending.

I stopped attending in September 2013. I could no longer stomach it--I was having anxiety problems starting Saturday morning that lasted until Sunday night every week. Dh could see what I was going through and agreed that I needed to take a break from attendance. This Christmas Sunday it will officially be 3 years since I went to church for Sunday meetings. I don't think he was thinking quite this long. I can't see ever going back now.

When I stopped attending, I had a son on a mission and came to NOM 1.0 to ask advice. He came home, I told him a week later that I no longer believed, but wouldn't tell him anything unless he asked. He never did, but he accepts me as the same Mom I always was. Another time I asked advice was when our Bishop talked to DH and all my 15yo daughter's friend's parents about them hugging, holding hands, and sitting together, suggesting that they might all be gay. I wouldn't care if she were gay, but I have major issue with the rumors he was spreading in the ward and the suggestion that affection between friends is wrong. That was about a year ago, I think. Her friends parents would no longer allow dd to see them except at church. Then we moved in April to Great Falls, MT.

Currently, 25yo RM son has not gone to church in 3 1/2 yrs. He hasn't talked to me about why, but he really does not like it there. 23yo RM son still attends occasionally, but he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in May and often does not feel well on Sunday mornings. 21yo daughter does not attend unless she is at her grandparents house. Not sure exactly what's up there either, but I think it has something to do with the sexism. 19yo son decided he was an atheist shortly after I stopped attending and told his dad he was no longer going to go to church either. 16yo son will attend if his dad goes. Dh has been working Sundays most of the time since January so it's only been once every couple of months this year. 16yo daughter was only going in our last ward to see those friends I talked about. Since we moved she has only been a couple of times with dh, and no longer will go, even with him. She is bisexual (told me over the summer, and just came out publicly) and knows about the exclusion policy (I made sure all the kids knew). I don't see her ever going back to this church with it being anti-LBGTQ and sexist. Dh goes when he can. He has been applying for different jobs to hopefully get into one that allows him to have weekends off.

As far as I'm concerned, our family is doing pretty well. Dh has a different opinion. Which is why I like NOM.

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:40 pm

I remember that bishop story. That was crazy, and definitely creepy.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Welcome home! I remember that story, too - how damaging and confusing that would be to those young girls. I'm glad you're doing well, and so glad you're here. I love to see the reunion growing!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.