Hello again to all my friends.

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
doug

Hello again to all my friends.

Post by doug » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:16 pm

For some reason Barney came to mind as I was trying to think of a subject title. Maybe because signing up here brings back a lot of old memories. Some of you may remember me from the .org version of NOM, as I recognize a lot of usernames in some of the recent posts I scanned. You were a great support to me (though I may not have mentioned it at the time) when I was going through the drama of my faith crisis. I just checked, and my resignation from the church was final a little over two years ago, so I'm guessing it has been at least that long since I last posted there. (Still not quite sure what happened to newordermormon.org, by the way, but maybe that's better left in the past). Anyway, I cherish many of the interactions that I had, and many of the threads that I may not have participated in but which I drew strength from as I read the things that were shared. Some I can still recall distinctly, and some still bring tears to my eyes.

Anyway, enough of that. I really don't think all that much about church anymore, but I decided to check back in for a few reasons. One, to be a living example that one can be a dyed-in-the-wool Mormon, experience a faith crisis, and come out the other side in fairly good condition. My wife came with me on this journey as well. Certainly I cannot claim any credit there, as I was very clumsy about how I shared my worries and doubts. Actually, a lot of the credit goes to you (again) since I may have inadvertently left one or two NOM threads open on the computer (don't try this at home) and they broadened her horizons enough that dialog between us became possible. Anyway, I thought that maybe my experiences might be helpful to others, and so I will look for opportunities to help out from time to time. Two, because a close friend is just now getting to the point where he will be making a change with regard to his church involvement. He was wondering if there were online resources that might help with the transition. Bam! I got this one covered. And, three, because I think my adult children (currently living in LA and in Ontario, Canada) might benefit from involvement with post-mormon groups that might be meeting in those areas. So far I haven't had much luck searching for such groups elsewhere, so thought why not try here.

-Doug

Red Ryder

Re: Hello again to all my friends.

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:58 am

Welcome back!

What’s the key to post Mormon success and where do you see yourself in 5 years? :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:47 am

I'm just starting my transition, hoping my DH comes along with me... thank you for your post, it is definitely comforting for those just starting on the journey to read the experiences of others and have hope in a brighter future, so thank you again.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:36 am

Welcome back!

It's great to hear the "success" stories of those who come out the other side and are doing well, and of course even better when the spouse joins them on the journey out of church...

Hope to read more about what worked and what didn't, and how you're doing now. :)

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:08 am

Hey Doug, good to see you here.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/