Looking for a home...

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Angel

Re: Looking for a home...

Post by Angel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:18 pm

jb_10mm wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:43 pm

So, is there a place for me? Both the church, and most of those who have left seem to embrace a dualistic mode where I'm either all in or all out. Will I be forced down one of these paths eventually? Is it worth it to find a middle of the road path?
You do not have to be dualist.

I like the Perry model of intellectual and ethical developement - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_G._Perry

Stage 1: The authorities know e.g. "the tutor knows what is right and wrong"

2. The true authorities are right, the others are frauds e.g. "my tutor doesn't know what is right and wrong but others do"

3. There are some uncertainties and the authorities are working on them to find the truth e.g. "my tutors don't know, but somebody out there is trying to find out"
(a) Everyone has right to their own opinion
(b) The authorities don't want the right answers. They want us to think in a certain way e.g. "different tutors think different things"
e.g. "there is an answer that the tutors want and we have to find it"

4. Everything is relative but not equally valid e.g. "there are no right and wrong answers, it depends on the situation, but some answers might be better than others"

5. You have to make your own decisions e.g. "what is important is not what the tutor thinks but what I think"
First commitment e.g. "for this particular topic I think that...."
Several Commitments e.g. "for these topics I think that...."

6. Believe own values, respect others, be ready to learn e.g. "I know what I believe in and what I think is valid, others may think differently and I'm prepared to reconsider my views"

Getting older for everyone is a process of recognizing the uncertainty that exists in knowing anything, then forming your own opinions, and learning how to make decisions and commitments based on limited knowledge - mixed in with respect and not being defensive around others who have made different commitments and decisions based on their different backgrounds.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson