Hi, I'm new from the U.K

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Tudor_Princess

Hi, I'm new from the U.K

Post by Tudor_Princess » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Hiya. I'm 35, married from England with two boys. Hubby and I are both in a similar place with church. Essentially, we can't be doing with it anymore but were so indoctrinated with culture/guilt that we can't completely leave! Hoping to get some perspective here.

HighMaintenance

Re: Hi, I'm new from the U.K

Post by HighMaintenance » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 am

Welcome! I hope we can all add some insight!
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:04 am

Hi, welcome Tudor Princess!

I am in a similar spot. I have not been able to simply shut everything down and walk away. I also still see some good at least in the general population of the church and have built a few decades of my life around it.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:05 am

The mental and social transition out of the LDS church is really difficult. Having your husband on the same page with you does really help. There are a quite a few mixed faith marriages represented on this page. The next thing that will help your family would be finding a new social group. This could be another church, but it could also be a non-religious hobby or social club.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 am

Welcome to the ward family! We are glad you found us!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Be sure to read through the archives and ask lots of questions! Post for support as often as you need to.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Tudor_Princess

Post by Tudor_Princess » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Thank you everyone!

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Welcome! I love the U.K...my wife is from there and visit regularly. Spent your sundays enjoying your beautiful countryside and history and you won't long miss the craziness of the 3 hour block.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Welcome. Pour yourself a pint of Guinness and throw yourself into these discussions. Wouldn't be surprised if the participants of this forum could help you with a fully fleshed out Brexit from your current dilemma of not being able to live with it and not being able to live without it.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 am

Welcome to NOM.

Contrary to your typical Sunday school classroom in your regular ward, all topics are acceptable and safe to discuss as long as civilly discussed. :D

Most of us are jealous of your situation with your spouse. Many of us stay because our better half holds firmly to the "iron fisted rod" of the corporation.

Looking forward to hearing more of the UK perspective.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Welcome! My ancestors came from the UK and gathered to Zion in the 19th century. I try to fantasize about what it would be like if they never converted. Maybe a different version of "me" would be a cool European guy instead of a redneck Utahn.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:34 pm

My DW would love your screen name. She studied British lit in college and always had a thing for the Tudor era of history.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Hey Tudor_Princess,...go check out Tom Phillips and if he responds, tell him hello from us over here in the HQ...ie. Salt Lake City.

I work about 3 blocks away from the Temple, and can look out my window and see it.

Culturally, you can leave (or stay) and you can take all the goodness you want with you. I left, and when I did, it was amazing that I didn't pop right into outer darkness. WOW!.

I was taught my whole life that the ONLY reason someone would leave the LDS church is because they are under the influence of Satan. That is a very frightening thing to be taught, but it caused intense cognitive dissonance because in my case, I had questions--legitimate and serious heart felt questions--and when I went to get answers, I was told that I needed to have faith and didn't need to know the answers to such things.

Imagine my dismay when my very ability to question because I wanted to know more was considered coming from the devil.

Hunh?....asking questions because I wanted to know the answers to things is from the devil?

Anyway, I'm out. And I still believe that love, kindness, compassion and forbearance are wonderful things--things which I have taken with me. Go figure...laving the church didn't destroy my soul.

If you choose to stay, you will have your reasons, and I among many others respect those. This forum is a good place to post questions and talk.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Welcome. Good luck with the journey. All of them are unique. Take your time and you do yours.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 am

I was just reminiscing about the UK yesterday, found memories of Manchester, Oldham, Liverpool, Ashton, Bolton, The Lakes, etc. I was on a mission there 83-85 and really hope to go back and visit someday, but nothing church related if I do!

Welcome to NOM - best transitional site on the web!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Littlelostsheep

Post by Littlelostsheep » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Welcome! I’m also from the UK!

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Ah nice, more Europeans.
Fron the Kingdom of United even
Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Rotherham United

Hahaha, poor attempt at Dutch Humor.
Greetings from across the North Sea
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"