New NOM Here

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
didyoumythme

New NOM Here

Post by didyoumythme » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi Everyone. I was born and raised in the church, graduated from BYU, married in the temple etc. I am a recent convert to NOMism after exploring church history and really allowing myself to think critically about my beliefs. It has been liberating to finally admit to myself that I don't believe all of the things I was taught to believe anymore. I see so much beauty in the world with my new and changing perspective, but it has come with the same trials of family and friend push back that many of you know so well.

I enjoy studying and thinking critically about my beliefs and faith/religion in general, as well as longboarding, basketball, videogames, and Indian food. I lurked here for a bit before the site went down, and now I hope to contribute and learn from this awesome community regularly!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

MalcolmVillager

Re: New NOM Here

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Welcome. We are still trying to pick up steam on the new site. It has been a "god-send" to my sanity since my FC started a few years ago. I love the candid conversation and wisdom of those who have been here longer than me.

Come contribute when you can. We do need more active posters.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:38 pm

Welcome!
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Welcome!
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:16 am

I was captivated by the Indian food part. Welcome.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:03 am

Love your username!

I, too, hope you'll stick around and join in conversations.

It's always great to hear others experiences and learn new perspectives.

Welcome!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:46 am

Welcome to NOM, didyoumythme! I'm glad you found us at our new home.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:44 pm

didyoumythme wrote:Hi Everyone. I was born and raised in the church, graduated from BYU, married in the temple etc. I am a recent convert to NOMism after exploring church history and really allowing myself to think critically about my beliefs. It has been liberating to finally admit to myself that I don't believe all of the things I was taught to believe anymore. I see so much beauty in the world with my new and changing perspective, but it has come with the same trials of family and friend push back that many of you know so well.

I enjoy studying and thinking critically about my beliefs and faith/religion in general, as well as longboarding, basketball, videogames, and Indian food. I lurked here for a bit before the site went down, and now I hope to contribute and learn from this awesome community regularly!
Welcome, didyoumythme. Allowing yourself to think critically about your own beliefs is a big deal and the gateway to that big beautiful world you mentioned.

I hope while in Provo you discovered Bombay House. Interesting story there with the owners being converted to Mormonism in India and immigrating to Utah. Maybe they bless the food to make it extra good :twisted:. There are two other locations in Salt Lake County if you get up that way.

Looking forward to your participation.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 am

didyoumythme wrote:I enjoy studying and thinking critically about my beliefs and faith/religion in general, as
Welcome! What was the idea or event that initiated your shift from orthodox thought?

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:29 am

Corsair wrote:
didyoumythme wrote:I enjoy studying and thinking critically about my beliefs and faith/religion in general, as
Welcome! What was the idea or event that initiated your shift from orthodox thought?
This is an interesting question because I have always had a tendency to question, but I never had a framework on which to truly seek questions until this year when I studied church history and doctrine. It started with questions about tithing (10% of gross/net vs 10% of surplus) and the WoW (Why we seem to ignore half of the section, why do hot drinks=coffee and tea etc.). The CES letter was a big turning point for me, after which I realized there was so much I didn't know and I researched everything I could get my hands on. 5 months and countless hours of reading/podcast listening later here I am. It still amazes me how quickly perspective can change with new information.

Ultimately, I think there are many issues that demonstrate that "the church isn't true", at least in the sense most TBMs understand it. The Book of Abraham, polygamy, BoM historicity, magic/masonic influences on Joseph Smith, and the early conception of the Godhead are big for me.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous