Still making sense of the LDS Church after leaving twice!

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Samsonthelymanite

Still making sense of the LDS Church after leaving twice!

Post by Samsonthelymanite » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I left the LDS Church (for the 2nd time) over issues in LDS history back in 1998. The next year I became Roman Catholic, partly to appease my wife who had also left Mormonism and returned to being Catholic. After almost 20 years as a Roman Catholic I left that church last year in protest over the clerical sex scandals.

In moving from LDS into RC I feel that I never fully appreciated the sense of betrayal I have felt all these years towards a God who fails to protect "His" children from rape, abuse, starvation and many other travesties. The same could be said for the lack of protection for God's adult children.

In addition to this I have been pained by the deception of religious institutions that use their power, money and influence to pull the wool over the eyes of believers about everything from history to finances to the acceptance of LGBTQ people.

In spite of all of this, I have considered going back to the LDS Church because it is my tribe to some degree. I must be nuts!
Last edited by Samsonthelymanite on Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rerum cognoscere causas

Corsair

Re: Still making sense of the LDS Church after leaving twice!

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:58 pm

That is certainly a different path than most people take. What do you think you would find by going back again? Do you simply want to be part of a ward? Is there some fulfillment in the spirituality offered by the LDS church? Has your wife stayed with the RC church?

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Different strokes for different folks. One of the books that I found really helpful in understanding the psychological effects of Mormonism on my self and others is Standing For Something More: The Excommunication of Lyndon Lamborn. Give it a read if you haven't already read it. There is a video on YouTube, but the book is far better and more complete.

Samsonthelymanite

Post by Samsonthelymanite » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks for responding to my post!

I added the recommended book to my Amazon wish-list and will pick up a copy.
Rerum cognoscere causas