Another Introduction

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Offbeat

Another Introduction

Post by Offbeat » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:24 am

Hey everybody!

I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I've already made a few posts without doing that. I mainly lurked on the old NOM board. I also decided to go by a different name. My username on NOM 1.0 was IDontKnow. I also go by DontKnow on a couple of other forums.

Anyway...

Just a little bit about myself...I grew up fully active in the church, enjoyed YW's, attended EFY, graduated from seminary, went to girls camp every year, etc. I was pretty much a typical TBM. I am now in my 20's, single, with no kids.

Growing up, I didn't really like the "Families are Forever" belief. The Church teaches that if you're not sealed to your family, you won't be with them forever. I am part of a part-active family. My immediate family is actually not sealed. So that teaching weighed pretty heavily on me.

Back in October of 2013, I did research on what brides and grooms who are part of part-active/part-member families do for their weddings. During my research, I found out that the 1 year wait policy only applies to those who live in the US. Then I read some of the stories on the Family First Weddings site, which put a huge crack in my shelf. I started doing more in-depth research on sealings, which lead me to D&C 132. Learning about JS's polygamy and polyandry is what made my shelf fell and crashed. After that, I learned about the freemasonry, first vision accounts, BOM translation, and so on.

Now I'm a nonbeliever and inactive. I would consider myself a secular humanist. I went from a TBM to an inactive nonbeliever in about 5 or 6 months. I'm grateful for my faith transition. I feel that my mind is more open than it used to be. The world isn't as evil and wicked as I once thought.

That's pretty much it. I'm more of a lurker. I'll try to post here and there. :)

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: Another Introduction

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks for the intro, offbeat. Wecome!

"Families are Forever" has such a nice surface ring to it. IF you're one of the privileged members who has a fully active, fits-the-ideal, family. I grew up in a really dysfunctional, non LDS family and I chased that ideal for over 30 years. It wasn't until other things started breaking my shelf that I realized how many problems there were with holding up one very narrow model as the ideal, how many were excluded or doomed to second-tier heaven for reasons beyond their control.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 am

Welcome offbeat.
Yep, the 1 year wait is for Europeans, something horrendous.
We just don´t get it.

A civil wedding (mandatory here) gives non-members a wedding+party
As long as you go to the temple next day no problem at all.
The Temple-president even asks for a copy of the weddingcertificate before proceeding.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:26 am

Welcome Offbeat!

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 am

Welcome OffBeat! I am always envious of those who find out this crazy stuff when they are young. You have just spared yourself a lot of pain and suffering by figuring it all out now before you jumped into that rabbit whole. The Families are forever theme was a huge brick on my shelf too. The whole concept just never made any sense. Secular Humanism is a beautiful way of thinking. I look forward to hearing more from you! :D
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 am

Offbeat wrote:I'm grateful for my faith transition. I feel that my mind is more open than it used to be. The world isn't as evil and wicked as I once thought.
I found this too. I like a lot more people now than I used to.

Welcome!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.