a long journey still underway

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Fifi de la Vergne

a long journey still underway

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 am

I was on the old NOM under a different name that I could no longer post under because my identity had been hacked. I picked my new user name using an "identity generator" . . . it's French as a hat tip to my francophone mission. Fifi -- it tickles me because it's so contrary to my identity IRL.

I'm a convert -- joined when I was 21 because a fairly miserable childhood in a dysfunctional family left me seeking for Little House on the Prairie in real life, and I thought Mormonism was it. I thought that for over 30 years (another thing about me is I'm a very slow learner). I am a compulsive reader, and over the course of those 30 years I read Rough Stone Rolling, Mormon Enigma, David O. Mackay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism, Kathleen Flake's book on Reed Smoot . . . I mean, I read and read and read, and didn't even know I had a shelf until the day it collapsed. I think the last book (last straw) was American Crucifixion by Alex Beam, and I remember where I was standing and what I was doing when the thought came into my head that Joseph Smith and everything I'd built my life around for the last 30 years was complete and utter b****s***. Those were the literal words in my head, and I hadn't used them since I was a teenager but there it was. I felt a little weak in the knees and had to sit down . . . but after my head cleared the overwhelming feeling was of relief.

I went on a mission, graduated from BYU, married in the temple and had 4 kids. I served in all the women's auxilliary presidencies, and in spite of everything always felt that I came up short. I struggled, as an introvert, a convert and someone whose interests didn't naturally lie where all the other women's seemed to, to fit in. I'd squished myself into a box so small that I could hardly move any more, and when I realized that I didn't have to constrain myself in all these painful ways any more, well -- my heart grew three sizes that day. ;)

However. I told DH almost right off the bat that I no longer believed, and while his initial reaction was that it was okay because he didn't marry me for my beliefs, that changed over time. He didn't want me to tell our 4 kids, who were teenagers, about my disaffection. He didn't want them to know what I was thinking or reading or experiencing. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't honor his wishes -- not that he should necessarily have had the last say, but I did it behind his back, and tragedy ensued. I was very close to our second son and in the habit of talking freely with him about almost everything, and I told him my conclusions about the church. I shared my journey with him, and we got in the habit of going out for lattes together. The thing was, he was emotionally a very fragile kid with deeper problems than I ever realized, and about six months later he died by suicide. I don't know how much church stuff played into it, but obviously a part, and our family has been picking its way through the wreckage ever since.

I’m a little over two years into the faith transition now, and I have no idea where we will all end up. I had some profound spiritual experiences before Mormonism came into my life, and I’d like to somehow reclaim those. My children are still supremely important to me, and I hope for a better, healthier future for them. I am on a quest to watch all the movies and TV shows that I denied myself in the interest of “purity” all those years. I’m 55 years old and I don’t know what the h*** I’m doing. I do know I’m glad NOM has been resurrected; I’ve missed you all like crazy.
Last edited by Fifi de la Vergne on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Deepthinker

Re: a long journey still underway

Post by Deepthinker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am

What a life you've lived. I'm so sorry about your son. I can't imagine. Our oldest son returned early from his mission last year, suffering from depression. DW was distraught, still is but maybe on a reduced level.

I'm also an introvert and an avid reader. Here's a good book suggestion: https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Intr ... 0307352153

I'm planning on doing my intro as well, so I don't want to derail this thread, other than to say I do feel for what you've been through and I'm glad you could make it back to NOM.

Journey

Post by Journey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:30 am

I remember your story. So glad you rejoined the new forum. Hoping for peace and comfort when remembering your son, healing of the family relationships, and many more joyous years with your other children.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 am

I'm happy you're here FDLV! Your experience and story has never left my mind. I will always appreciate those posts and the raw emotion you shared at an extremely difficult time. Please know that you have touched the hearts of many of us here.

Welcome back.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by Red Ryder on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks for your story. I would commiserate by noting that none of us truly know what we are doing. I have some answers that work for me, but my extended family still does not know my real views on the LDS church and spirituality in general. But I am fairly happy with the current status quo and I hope you can make progress to where you can also be happy with it.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:14 am

This is soo hard to read, I can+t imagine the guilt you might feel.
And the stress this causes in a marriage.
When reading thinks like this my blood starts to boil again because of the Church.

I thought I had boiled most volatiles away...... nope, still there
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:45 am

You are an amazing woman and I thank you for your story .... your words deeply touched my soul. My youngest son as made several failed attempts at suicide since his early return from his mission, so I can only imagine what you and your family have had to deal with.

Cosair is right in that none of us truly know what we are doing! I always say I just let the wind blow me where I am to go next! I hope you stick around and continue to share you love and wisdom.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:07 pm

MLFN

So glad you made your way here. I'll echo RR that the way you bore your soul to us during that difficult time, and the collective mourning was, dare I say, sacred.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks for the story. I am sorry for your pain and hope you find some peace. There is some peace to be found here I'm grateful for that.

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:34 pm

I remember you. I like the purple skunk :)

When DH decided to leave the church our oldest DD was struggling with some undiagnosed and very serious mental health problems. So the church thing landed like a bomb in the middle of an already tenuous situation. Those were dark days for me and I did a lot of crying. Reading about your son brought the whole thing back. I remember wanting to hug you.

5-6 years on DD is on medication and thriving, DH and I are enjoying cocktails and wine together on our nights out, and the ship has righted itself. There are still worries (DD will always be a worry) and problems but I'm happier now than I ever was in the church. Hopefully you are too, or you will be. *hug*
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:20 am

Jinx wrote:I remember you. I like the purple skunk :)

When DH decided to leave the church our oldest DD was struggling with some undiagnosed and very serious mental health problems. So the church thing landed like a bomb in the middle of an already tenuous situation. Those were dark days for me and I did a lot of crying. Reading about your son brought the whole thing back. I remember wanting to hug you.

5-6 years on DD is on medication and thriving, DH and I are enjoying cocktails and wine together on our nights out, and the ship has righted itself. There are still worries (DD will always be a worry) and problems but I'm happier now than I ever was in the church. Hopefully you are too, or you will be. *hug*
Thank you for sharing that, Jinx. It's so good to hear that people are in a good place after passing through really dark times.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:17 am

Fifi -

There were a few times back on NOM 1.0 when we honored your son (on some special days) by drinking a latte and in some cases, "paying it forward" so the next person would have that gift from him. It meant a lot to me to be part of that - it was a way to reach out to you and to him and share love, even though don't live near each other.

Please let us know if you'd be comfortable with us honoring him again on the special and sensitive anniversaries? If you aren't I know we would all understand. If you are, just let us know and maybe start a "Time to Remember" thread as the dates approach.

Thanks for being here, and for allowing us be with you during that difficult time.

Love you!

Silver Girl
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:31 am

Silver Girl wrote:Fifi -

There were a few times back on NOM 1.0 when we honored your son (on some special days) by drinking a latte and in some cases, "paying it forward" so the next person would have that gift from him. It meant a lot to me to be part of that - it was a way to reach out to you and to him and share love, even though don't live near each other.

Please let us know if you'd be comfortable with us honoring him again on the special and sensitive anniversaries? If you aren't I know we would all understand. If you are, just let us know and maybe start a "Time to Remember" thread as the dates approach.

Thanks for being here, and for allowing us be with you during that difficult time.

Love you!

Silver Girl
You're so thoughtful, Silver Girl. His birthday came and went while NOM 1.0 was down and it was really, really hard to get through that day without being able to tell you all . . . I will let you know next time, and thank you so much.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:35 am

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:You're so thoughtful, Silver Girl. His birthday came and went while NOM 1.0 was down and it was really, really hard to get through that day without being able to tell you all . . . I will let you know next time, and thank you so much.
I'm always happy to drink a latte for your son. Cheers!

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Fifi de la Vergne wrote: You're so thoughtful, Silver Girl. His birthday came and went while NOM 1.0 was down and it was really, really hard to get through that day without being able to tell you all . . . I will let you know next time, and thank you so much.
I am sad that we missed his birthday, and even more sad that we weren't able to be there for you. I have an idea - I think it would mean a lot to many of us to drink a latte in honor of him and to celebrate the fact we are back together with you on the new NOM. It would be a belated birthday toast to him and a group ((((( hug! ))))) to you.

Would you be willing to pick a date that might be meaningful? A holiday he particularly loved, a special day that had special memories, or whatever? One of us (you, or me, if you want) can post it on the Support board and invite those who want to join in to send up some belated birthday "Latte Love" on that day. We can share whatever information you feel comfortable sharing about how that tradition started.

You mean a lot to us - I'm so glad we are all back together

<3

(Silver Girl is wishing for the heart emoticon!)
Last edited by Silver Girl on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:33 pm

Duplicate - sorry!