SIWL checking in

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
SIWL

SIWL checking in

Post by SIWL » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:36 am

Hi All,

Glad I found my way back finally. I actually found this place a while back, but had some trouble getting registered and then found it hard to find time to post. Our firewall blocks this new site at work and I'm slow typing on my phone and I rarely take time to sit at a computer at home. So I may post less, but I wanted to check in and say hi to the group.

Things are generally well with me. This site really helped me as I went through my transition and I appreciate all of your support and insight. My life now is that of an atheist/agnostic/skeptic living with a still believing but very considerate TBM family. Because that creates large differences in how we see the world and the way we see ourselves in this universe, we do have areas where we don't always agree, but all in all we are still very good and understanding of each other. I very seldom attend or am expected to attend any meetings, the last time being with my son when he spoke before he left for his Mission a few months ago.

I will try to contribute when I can, but in the meantime I just wanted to say I wish you all well.
Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself.

For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. ~ Carl Sagan

Corsair

Re: SIWL checking in

Post by Corsair » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:08 am

We are glad you found your way back.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:49 am

Sounds like you have found a balance in your own life. Congratulations.

Hope to hear more about how that is working out for you and what you have done to fill the sometimes anxiety creating voids in our post TBM lives.

Welcome.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:24 am

SIWL - Single Isolated Wheel Load
SIWL - Switching Impulse Withstand Level
SIWL - Simplified Issue Whole Life

Welcome back.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

SIWL

Post by SIWL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 am

Since my favorite penguin, Moksha, has started a list of what SIWL might stand for, I decided I’d better set the record straight. It’s actually a pretty lame screen name & I was thinking about changing it, but decided to keep it just in case anyone from the old site might remember me.
The story goes like this: Soon after the light went on in my head and I realized the church and my worldview wasn’t at all what I thought it was, my immediate worry was for my marriage and family. Within a few weeks I found the NOM site and lurked and read lots of stories about how people made it work in their lives. A few weeks later, I got the courage to join NOM. At this time I was about 4 months removed from my “awakening”, but only a couple of months removed from my asking to be released from a Bishopric. I had spent the prior 15 years serving in various leadership/teaching callings such as HC, SP Exec Sec, and Counselor in Bishopric. I was going through an angry phase and was having a hard time not just exploding – partially mad about the white washed and/or hidden history, but mostly mad at myself for falling for it for so long and leading my family down that path. Of course, my family didn’t see it that way – the church and I had done a good job with the indoctrination (not that hard if you start your kids when they are small – that’s the real disaster, but that’s another thread). So when deciding on a screen name – I took a cue from one of our NOM’s that I had related to when reading his posts - HIPS (hiding in plain sight). I was trying to think of a cool acronym like that and failed. Mine ended up being just a subtle reminder to myself to keep things civil and not let my anger spill out and ruin any of my relationships.

So ….. SIWL is an acronym from a favorite Moody Blues song: “Say It With Love”

Someday I may come back to the church, in which case the acronym would have to based on something else - like: “So I Wanted a Labotomy”
Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself.

For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. ~ Carl Sagan

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 am

SIWL wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 am

Someday I may come back to the church, in which case the acronym would have to based on something else - like: “So I Wanted a Labotomy”
Perhaps it's because the title for Star Wars 8 was just announced, but I was hoping the acronym was "Say It With Lasers".

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 am

SIWL wrote:
"Love" it. (See with I did there? ;) )

But honestly, what an excellent mantra. Maybe I'll get it tattooed on the inside of my eyeballs so my tiny brain won't forget it.

My username acronym doesn't work so well as a mantra; Though it does work as a reaction to discovering I'd been lied to by The Corporation for more than 40 years. :x
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:53 am

I love the moody blues. Underrated band IMHO. Glad to have you back. This is such a good space. I find it hard to get on or respond as much as I would like but it was and still is so helpful to me. I want to give back for others who may need it.

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:19 pm

SIWL wrote:
I like it! Good reminder for us all.