Cultural Mormon in Japan here

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
JehuLove

Cultural Mormon in Japan here

Post by JehuLove » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Just an intro- I'm a non-believing member of record from Colorado, now living in Japan. Been "out" since about 2004. I'm one of the mods over at /r/exmormon, I teach at a university, and in my down time I cook, watch hockey, and play some dorky video games. Consider myself Mormon in the same sense that a lot of Jewish atheists/agnostics still identify as Jewish. Purely by chance, I live directly behind the Nagoya mission home, and enjoy good relationships with the elders, who I invite over for tacos every now and then- tryin' to be a good example of a happy, fulfilled, and non-militant exMormon. Nice to meet ya, kids.

SeeNoEvil

Re: Cultural Mormon in Japan here

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 pm

Welcome JehuLove! Glad you found us. You are a long way from home. What takes you to Japan? So you've been out since 2004 and now live directly behind the Nagoya mission home... I bet that makes for some interesting conversation with the missionaries. I look forward to hearing more from you.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:03 am

Welcome.

I had never been to Japan until last year, when I had the chance to visit twice. You are a lucky man. I have fallen in love with Japan and would love to return.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:09 am

Welcome, JL! I love that you are comfortable claiming your cultural identity as a Mormon even as a non-believer. It sounds like you are in a good place; I look forward to hearing more and learning from your insights.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:18 am

Welcome JL. I didn't realize they had moderators at /exmormon. Glad to have you here. I'm interested in what took you to Japan. How is the Mormon and exmo cultures different there?
~2bizE

achilles

Post by achilles » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm

JehuLove wrote:Purely by chance, I live directly behind the Nagoya mission home, and enjoy good relationships with the elders, who I invite over for tacos every now and then- tryin' to be a good example of a happy, fulfilled, and non-militant exMormon. Nice to meet ya, kids.
Holy s****! I lived in the Nagoya Mission Home when I was a missionary there in the mid 90s. I remember making tacos there a few times (I had my mom send me packets of taco seasoning).

Do you teach at MeiDai?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Welcome!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.