Explain your avatar choice

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
redjay

Re: Explain your avatar choice

Post by redjay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 am
redjay wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 am
Something to do with my career
Do you work at AREA 51?!?!!?!
not even nearly as exciting
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm

redjay wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 pm
Enoch Witty wrote:
redjay wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 am
Something to do with my career
^^Which is exactly what you would say if you really did work at area 51!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

redjay

Post by redjay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:54 pm
redjay wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 pm
Enoch Witty wrote:

^^Which is exactly what you would say if you really did work at area 51!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I am neither Alien interrogator or illustrator. ;)
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:21 am

My avatar looks like me.

WHAT!?......... :shock:

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 pm

We were invited to attend a Jazz game in the Delta Center and to sit in a corporate box. The "special guest" in the box was none other than Thomas S. Monson.

As we approached the box we were met outside of it by a church security person who had accompanied TSM to the game. He began to explain the rules:
1) No pictures of TSM - and absolutely no selfies
2) Do not shake hands with him
3) Acknowledge but do not ask questions, nor speak to him
4) Try your best to not make eye contact (hard to acknowledge without eye contact)

With TSM there was there was a total of eight people (four of which was our group). He left five minutes before the end of the game so he could beat the crowed (understandably), the held an elevator for him which took him directly to a special garage area where is car met him.

So, being the rebel that I am, I had to somehow get a photo of him, hence my avatar, which is a memory of a really weird and awkward Jazz game.
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:46 am

Grace2Daisy wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 pm
We were invited to attend a Jazz game in the Delta Center and to sit in a corporate box. The "special guest" in the box was none other than Thomas S. Monson.

As we approached the box we were met outside of it by a church security person who had accompanied TSM to the game. He began to explain the rules:
4) Try your best to not make eye contact (hard to acknowledge without eye contact)

With TSM there was there was a total of eight people (four of which was our group). He left five minutes before the end of the game so he could beat the crowed (understandably), the held an elevator for him which took him directly to a special garage area where is car met him.

So, being the rebel that I am, I had to somehow get a photo of him, hence my avatar, which is a memory of a really weird and awkward Jazz game.
so I could understand the No Pictures, and maybe even the no talking or touching,(its got to get pretty old after awhile) but no eye contact? that seems a bit extreme. so if he looks at you, were you just supposed to duck your head? He comes across as a very kind and sociable person on the stand. Did he cheer or comment on the game at all? did he even appear to be enjoying the game? or was it eye's straight forward, never making a peep, so I don't have to talk to these people type thing?

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 am

LostMormon wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:46 am
Grace2Daisy wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 pm

so I could understand the No Pictures, and maybe even the no talking or touching,(its got to get pretty old after awhile) but no eye contact? that seems a bit extreme. so if he looks at you, were you just supposed to duck your head? He comes across as a very kind and sociable person on the stand. Did he cheer or comment on the game at all? did he even appear to be enjoying the game? or was it eye's straight forward, never making a peep, so I don't have to talk to these people type thing?
I forgot to mention there was another requirement for our being with TSM, "Do not ask him any questions!" That was an emphatic statement from the person giving us the rules of engagement (or non-engagement).

He was sitting with a friend (I'm pretty sure he was not a GA who was about his same age), and although they seemed to enjoy the game there was certainly no cheering (the Jazz won). As I walked to the back of the suite after they set up the food to eat (really good spread), I got to the area the same time he did. I looked at him and gestured that he should go before me, he never made eye contact and never acknowledged me, just got his plate and started picking at the food. That was my only interaction with him, which was more than any of the other three I was with.

I've been to basketball games in the Delta suites with other GA's, like Elder Hales, and the experience was not even close to what was demanded by TSM. During my time with Elder Hales I can say he was very gracious and even had his picture taken with others in the suite. Unfortunately because they are almost thought of as rock stars they have to either get to the game early or late, and leave early to avoid the crush of admirers.

The experience with TSM was just weird, and disappointing. The one thing I learned quickly after being with all the GA's at games, the church must require them to wear "the uniform of the Lord" when out in public because they were alway in suits.
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 pm

I took this picture on a beach vacation. Anybody recognize it? I use this as an avatar because it represents the light at the end of the tunnel.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Abinidied wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 pm
Oliver wrote:My avatar is a reflection of my user name which was the new name I was given when I received my endowment many years ago. So if anyone here received their endowment in the St George temple early December, 1977, well then, Hi there!
Hi! And what the . . . I thought I was the only one with that name!!! I took mine out in early December, 1976 but not in the St. G. temple. My wife and I were laying in bed last week and I casually said, "I don't think it's fair I know your name and you don't know mine. She said, "Uh . . . I can't remember my name." I panicked. What will I do without a wife for eternity? And what will I do after that? I reminded her what it was, seeing as I memorized it by repeating it thousands of times. She then got a little miffed while contemplating why she couldn't know mine. To be fair and to kill the underling status promoted by such tradition, I told her my name which is also yours which I won't tell because I promised someone I didn't know I wouldn't. My wife and I both felt dirty with an over-whelming desire to fast and wash our mouths out with soap.
Lol! Howdy! It's interesting. I told my name to my wife just a couple of months ago. I'm not sure why I felt the need, but once I told her, it felt good!
So what do you do, with good old boys like me?

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Nonny wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 pm
I took this picture on a beach vacation. Anybody recognize it? I use this as an avatar because it represents the light at the end of the tunnel.
I don't, but it's a beautiful picture. Any hints? I love the meaning behind it.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder