Explain your avatar choice

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Culper Jr.

Re: Explain your avatar choice

Post by Culper Jr. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:37 pm

I love spy novels and movies and I'm pretty much an "undercover" disaffected active member.

Culper Jr. is a reference to the Culper spy ring in the Revolutionary War; I read a book about it recently and found it interesting.

As for the avatar, I love watching Archer and the caption is what goes through my mind at church pretty much every time a TBM's mouth is moving.

I joined NOM 1.0 about a month or two before it crashed, so it's fun to see the re-introductions and avatar explanations of everyone.

Stig

Post by Stig » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:34 pm

I have a severe case of car love issues. My avatar is the Stig...look him up.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 pm

I needed to change my username when I migrated to NOM 2.0. Fifi de la Vergne came up on a random name generator. It amused me because whatever you visualize when you hear the name Fifi, I'm pretty sure it's someone who's my polar opposite. It's silly, just like these melodramatic, cloak-and-dagger antics I have to go through to be able to say what I really think. The purple skunk is actually Fifi la Fume, the female counterpart of Pepe le Pew -- and that fits too, because this whole thing stinks. :)
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 pm

After learning that the church has been lying to me for 40+ years, I feel I have lost any sense of direction. That Iron Rod I was holding, guiding me through this uncertain, often scary and painful thing we call life, suddenly vanished in a very, very Mormon family.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:20 pm

SILVER GIRL! I'm so glad I was able to make that connection. Never would have known it was you. My avatar is pretty self explanatory. It's just me letting go of all the things I once thought protected me, but now I realize they were holding me back.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:34 am

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:I needed to change my username when I migrated to NOM 2.0. Fifi de la Vergne came up on a random name generator. It amused me because whatever you visualize when you hear the name Fifi, I'm pretty sure it's someone who's my polar opposite. It's silly, just like these melodramatic, cloak-and-dagger antics I have to go through to be able to say what I really think. The purple skunk is actually Fifi la Fume, the female counterpart of Pepe le Pew -- and that fits too, because this whole thing stinks. :)
It took me a while to figure out your original name on the first NOM site - I am so, so glad you're here! I have thought of you often - how great to be back in the same NOM Family again!

((((( Hugs! )))))
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:36 am

trophywife26.2 wrote:SILVER GIRL! I'm so glad I was able to make that connection. Never would have known it was you. My avatar is pretty self explanatory. It's just me letting go of all the things I once thought protected me, but now I realize they were holding me back.
TW! I am so glad we are both here - just look at the group that's gathering - the membership grows each day, and we are also adding new members. I know some of us had various reasons to change our usernames (me, for one, and Fifi, and Sirensong, and a few others). It's great that we are figuring out who is who.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:47 am

Silver Girl wrote:
Fifi de la Vergne wrote:I needed to change my username when I migrated to NOM 2.0. Fifi de la Vergne came up on a random name generator. It amused me because whatever you visualize when you hear the name Fifi, I'm pretty sure it's someone who's my polar opposite. It's silly, just like these melodramatic, cloak-and-dagger antics I have to go through to be able to say what I really think. The purple skunk is actually Fifi la Fume, the female counterpart of Pepe le Pew -- and that fits too, because this whole thing stinks. :)
It took me a while to figure out your original name on the first NOM site - I am so, so glad you're here! I have thought of you often - how great to be back in the same NOM Family again!

((((( Hugs! )))))
I was really glad when I figured out who you were too! I love the new name and avatar -- so beautiful, so positive and hopeful. Hugs to you too. :)
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 am

When I first joined I wanted my identity to be completely hidden. So I chose batman. What could be better than Darth Vader playing a hymn with Batman leading? I might change it up in the future.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:23 am

Okay, so I just changed my avatar, which is something I am prone to occasionally do. This latest one is a photo I took on our recent trip to Portland and Seattle. We went across to Bainbridge Island for dinner. This was the view from where we were sitting. I grew up a couple of miles from the water on the east coast. So, I miss all things related. The (any) coast is my "happy place" which I crave.

Here's a larger version of it....

LadyLillith

Post by LadyLillith » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:17 pm

I was Rhiannon on NOM 1.0 but I changed because I feel stronger now. According to mythology, Lilith/Lillith was Adam's first wife who refused to be ruled by him; for this she was banished and sweet Eve was introduced. Some accounts make Lilith into a demon-like creature, which reminds me of scary things which reminds me of Halloween which makes me think of black cats, which is why my avatar is an adorable black cat.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 am

I love the apocalyptic biker (Randall Tex Cobb) from Raising Arizona, and I loved him Uncommon Valor as well (he wore a hand grenade on a chain around his neck, just in case).

I think I chose him because I've been pretty ragey about all things church for quite a while. I have made a goal to change this and many other behaviors on New Years. I will be glad to let go of 2016.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:21 am

This is a depiction of an alchemist attempting to square a circle, something we now know to be impossible because pi is irrational, but at the time people spent their lives working on a proof.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:28 pm

oliver_denom wrote:This is a depiction of an alchemist attempting to square a circle, something we now know to be impossible because pi is irrational, but at the time people spent their lives working on a proof.
Not merely irrational, but transcendental, which means it is not the root of any polynomial with rational coefficients. The square root of 2 is irrational but not transcendental.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:43 pm

I read comics as a kid and loved the X-Man known as the Beast because he's funny, a genius, and blue and furry...kinda like me...at least the blue and furry part anyway. And the moniker has biblical implications, so there's that too.
Last edited by The Beast on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:55 am

I was AbrahamsBook in NOM 1.0. Now I call myself Oliblish. Oliblish originates from Facsimile 2 in the Book of Abraham.

The Book of Abraham is what blew me out of the water. I went from believer to nonbeliever in less than an hour after learning about the problems with the translation.

Everyone seems to know Kolob, but nobody ever remembers Oliblish. It must be difficult for Oliblish to always be overshadowed by Kolob. Sometimes I feel like I am a second class citizen in the Church. I think there are a lot of people in my ward that don't know who I am. Of course that may be because I rarely go anymore. I actually like being in the background and anonymous. I am very much an introvert like to keep to myself.

Here is what the we know about Oliblish:
Book of Abraham Facsimile 2 wrote:2. Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham, as he offered sacrifice upon an altar, which he had built unto the Lord.
I made this my signature, except that it was a little too long and I had to truncate the text to make it fit.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Stig wrote:I have a severe case of car love issues. My avatar is the Stig...look him up.
Will you remain the Stig or will you evolve into whatever is represented in The Grand Tour?
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Korihor wrote:
Stig wrote:I have a severe case of car love issues. My avatar is the Stig...look him up.
Will you remain the Stig or will you evolve into whatever is represented in The Grand Tour?
I'll remain the Stig. Top Gear may have gotten custody of him in the divorce, but he's iconic at this point. I suspect The Grand Tour will be much better than the new Top Gear, but that's okay. Those in the know, know why the Stig is awesome.

BTW, my favorite man in the white suit is Ben Collins. He was the best one to date.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

document

Post by document » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:14 pm

I just grabbed my avatar from a MMORPG I casually play.

Excitement!

Lady_Macbeth

Post by Lady_Macbeth » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Goes with my username, she's a complex character - BONUS: I look similar to this actress.