Explain your avatar choice

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Abinidied

Re: Explain your avatar choice

Post by Abinidied » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Oliver wrote:My avatar is a reflection of my user name which was the new name I was given when I received my endowment many years ago. So if anyone here received their endowment in the St George temple early December, 1977, well then, Hi there!
Hi! And what the . . . I thought I was the only one with that name!!! I took mine out in early December, 1976 but not in the St. G. temple. My wife and I were laying in bed last week and I casually said, "I don't think it's fair I know your name and you don't know mine. She said, "Uh . . . I can't remember my name." I panicked. What will I do without a wife for eternity? And what will I do after that? I reminded her what it was, seeing as I memorized it by repeating it thousands of times. She then got a little miffed while contemplating why she couldn't know mine. To be fair and to kill the underling status promoted by such tradition, I told her my name which is also yours which I won't tell because I promised someone I didn't know I wouldn't. My wife and I both felt dirty with an over-whelming desire to fast and wash our mouths out with soap.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:04 am

Abinidied wrote:My wife and I both felt dirty with an over-whelming desire to fast and wash our mouths out with soap.
Sluff off that guilt brother! It ain't healthy!

Here at NOM you can begin your education and journey to know the origins of all these. You will know the truth and it shall set you free. Be sure to read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=307&hilit=masonry
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

document

Post by document » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:00 am

I joined in the ex-Mormon self-congratulatory posting of pictures bandwagon over on the Reddit page. After some reflection, I chose the picture I just changed my avatar to.

I resigned from the church in 2014 after being threatened with excommunication for apostasy. The apostasy was formally joining another religion, although I hadn't actually formally joined another religion and was still active LDS at the time (I merely worked for them). I resigned instead, and then formally joined said religion about a year later when I was confirmed in the Episcopal Church.

I chose this picture, and now my avatar, because it is the symbol of my apostasy in the LDS church. Here I am, tired to the point that everything was funny, voting in the house of laity at our diocesan convention. I cast my ballot (6 times) for the same person, the Rev. Gretchen Rehberg, who was eventually elected our bishop.

This stupid little photo represents the height of my apostasy, not only formally an Episcopalian, but an active one, traveling at my own cost to our convention and casting the vote for a woman to advance in the priesthood from priest to bishop.

(Every ballot took about 2 hours to complete, and we stayed in the hotel ballroom until the balloting was done, so this is about 11 hours into the balloting for bishop)

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:26 am

If anyone is looking for a good avatar, I think this would make a good one:

Also, a very interesting pod cast on the Mormon struggle to become white. Yup, that was not a typo, early Mormons were considered non-white/physically different by the Protestant mainstream in the 19th century, because of polygamy and immigration.

http://radiowest.kuer.org/topic/lds-his ... nd-culture

It's a irony, given how it was not long after that many white Mormons considered themselves as a superior race via lineage from the house of Israel.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:58 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:If anyone is looking for a good avatar, I think this would make a good one:

Also, a very interesting pod cast on the Mormon struggle to become white. Yup, that was not a typo, early Mormons were considered non-white/physically different by the Protestant mainstream in the 19th century, because of polygamy and immigration.

http://radiowest.kuer.org/topic/lds-his ... nd-culture

It's a irony, given how it was not long after that many white Mormons considered themselves as a superior race via lineage from the house of Israel.
Wow that is crazy.

I almost uses this as my profile pic:
Sister Missionaries.png
Sister Missionaries.png (64.44 KiB) Viewed 11419 times

Anyone is welcome to it if they want.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

document

Post by document » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm

And immediately it came into my mind:

There is a zone meeting and Sister Tunt and Sister Poovey are sitting quietly.

Zone Leader: "Sister Tunt, will you offer the opening prayer?"

Sister Tunt: You're not my supervisor!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:14 pm

document wrote:And immediately it came into my mind:

Right! It would be Elder Archer and Elder Figgis over their district with Sister Poovey always implying that she would not mind "going on splits". Elder Archer would usually be trying to set up a PPI with Sister Kane who is having interpersonal issues with Sister Kasanova. Elder Figgis would always be tattling to the Mission President. Elder Krieger and Elder Gillette would be the weird companionship in the district with Krieger's rumored "virtual girlfriend" and Elder Gillette having to hide the fact that he is extremely gay.

List of Archer characters

document

Post by document » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Elder Dylan (or Elder other Barry, if you will), is going to be the a-hole missionary that we all knew.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:53 am

Corsair wrote:
document wrote:And immediately it came into my mind:

Right! It would be Elder Archer and Elder Figgis over their district with Sister Poovey always implying that she would not mind "going on splits". Elder Archer would usually be trying to set up a PPI with Sister Kane who is having interpersonal issues with Sister Kasanova. Elder Figgis would always be tattling to the Mission President. Elder Krieger and Elder Gillette would be the weird companionship in the district with Krieger's rumored "virtual girlfriend" and Elder Gillette having to hide the fact that he is extremely gay.

List of Archer characters
YAASSS!!! Archer mission fan fic!!!!

Don't forget about the Mission President and his sweet, loving wife.
Malory_&_Ron_1.jpg
Malory_&_Ron_1.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 11357 times

document

Post by document » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm

A shady car dealer as a leader in the LDS church? NEVER!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:57 pm

document wrote:A shady car dealer as a leader in the LDS church? NEVER!
In related news, M. Russell Ballard was, in fact, the first Edsel car dealer in Salt Lake City in the 1950s.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Corsair wrote:
document wrote:A shady car dealer as a leader in the LDS church? NEVER!
In related news, M. Russell Ballard was, in fact, the first Edsel car dealer in Salt Lake City in the 1950s.
That is just classic Ballard.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 am

Just watched Pleasantville last night again; lots to relate to in that movie. I also there there's lots of great potential NOMish avatars in there.

"Honey, I'm home."
GeorgePleasantville.jpg
GeorgePleasantville.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
JeffPleasantville.jpg
JeffPleasantville.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
--Douglas Adams

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:24 pm

My avatar survives my reregistration. It's a picture of Jon Waters with 3D glasses. It was my avatar shortly after I joined NOM in 2011 and I used the Username of Lazyeye. It symbolized my vision being tinkered with.
The user formerly known as Lazyeye. Now living in SLC.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Oliver wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:20 pm
My avatar is a reflection of my user name which was the new name I was given when I received my endowment many years ago. So if anyone here received their endowment in the St George temple early December, 1977, well then, Hi there!
I received mine there in Sept 1980 (but I can guarantee you that my name isn't Oliver :lol: ).

I don't have an avatar yet. I kept my old user name so I would be familiar to those who knew me on the old site.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm

I picked a picture of me during a Mormon Stories interview with John Dehlin a couple years ago in Salt Lake City. I tend to talk with my hands, which I'm always doing when I'm writing on a Bboard like NOM, so this avatar shows you what my hands are doing between typing.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Heck, I thought you were acting in a play.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 am

Background picture and
hands outstretched like a
Byzantine crucifixion painting.

Great photo.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

redjay

Post by redjay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 am

Something to do with my career
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 am

redjay wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 am
Something to do with my career
Do you work at AREA 51?!?!!?!