Amy and Jake Malouf- Alaska

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
tearjerker

Amy and Jake Malouf- Alaska

Post by tearjerker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:27 am

So glad to see NOM back up and running

The Anchorage Press did a great write-up on the Malouf's story. Mormon Stories has a podcast done a week before there "court of love", and will undoubtedly do a followup, but this local story is done so well. One of the best I have seen done by the press.

http://www.anchoragepress.com/cover-news/breaking-seal

So glad as well, to see so many "birds of a feather" gathering together. Missed you guys!

Red Ryder

Re: Amy and Jake Malouf- Alaska

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:53 am

This was another good MS podcast.

I quit listening to Mormon themed podcasts over a year ago to keep other interests in my headspace while searching for normalcy. Then people kept recommending a few of the latest ones. So I listened to this one first, then the Greg Prince interview, and then the Ordinary Family interview. I'm amazed at the couples who come out together and just love and support each other. Why can't all couples find support and sanity in leaving the church together?

Has Liberateme made her way over to the new board yet? I'm interested to hear her take on this.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Tearjerker thank you for sharing this story. I admire those like the Malouf's who make this journey more public. The message of what Mormonism is really all about is one that the world needs to hear. Sending their message out through the media can't but help continue to touch those who need to know they are not alone. What I don't agree with is the way the church handles situations as this. Why must we be tried and convicted in their courts and by it's members? The way the church spies on us and makes our lives their business is all about control. I am glad I no longer have them controlling my life. Sending good vibes to Amy and Jake in your new found freedom.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

achilles

Post by achilles » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:32 pm

So, are you Amy and Jake?
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:36 pm

The Maloufs touched me. The church is chasing away it's best minds in the interest of keeping the most loyal. It's a bad recipe for the future.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:00 pm

tearjerker wrote:Mormon Stories has a podcast done a week before there "court of love", and will undoubtedly do a followup, but this local story is done so well.

The followup was posted Yesterday. I listened to it on my drive to the airport today. Very interesting episode.

664: The Excommunication of Amy and Jake Malouf Pt. 2 – The Verdict
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

tearjerker

Post by tearjerker » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:52 pm

achilles wrote:So, are you Amy and Jake?
No, not Amy or Jake. I just found their story to be so close to where many of us are. Wanting and needing to discuss our concerns, and finding that if we post something on FB, or try to discuss with someone, we can lose the big TR, or even our membership.

It's great to see a couple so united in thought and action. And because their TBM families are hundreds of miles away, there may be very little problems with extended family.

As a grandparent, this issue has divided my family right down the middle. My marriage is rocky, I have been unfriended on FB by some of my children, and feel unwelcome in some homes. Thankfully half of my children are not active, and those bonds have been strengthened.