Resolved Not To Lurk (as much)

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
foolmeonce

Resolved Not To Lurk (as much)

Post by foolmeonce » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi Friends,

I was an occasional poster on the old board. I had a few posts I was proud of, but I mostly sat at the feet of giants and learned what I'd been missing. I used the same name, but my avatar was reflection of neo choosing the red pill. I'm now well past the red pill phase, but first some background. I'm a 30 something Utah Mormon who transplanted to Texas back in the 90's (can you believe that native Texan Mormon's call us UTARDS?), lived in the Houston Area for my teens and adult life, and relocated to Dallas / Fort Worth a year ago. I served a mission in CA, and was pretty much a good Mormon boy, except I chose to stay local for college instead of heading to the Y. My current status is that we've told the local ward here several times to stay the h-e-double-hockey-sticks away or I'd tell them what I REALLY think. I'm really a nice guy, but I'm big and bearded, and people tend to take me more seriously then they should. That seems to be working in my advantage in this scenario.

I started my transition process in late 2014, about the time the Polygamy essay started getting national press, and was able to lead my wife and kids into total inactivity by the time we moved in late 2015. I have this board (actually the last one), to thank for helping my family through that. I learned what worked for you, what didn't work, and found my own path.

I'd like to contribute to this board by sharing some of my experiences that I did not feel free to share during our transition. At the time, I DID not want to jeopardize my wife's progress by humiliating her through online confessionals. The chances of her finding any aired laundry was small, but I wasn't willing to take the risk. Now, I think that parts of our story could be useful to those who are on similar roads. And if not, well, at least I tried to pay back a debt I feel I owe.

While I'm all warm and fuzzy here, (maybe it's the 2nd IPA, who knows), I'd like to give a shout out to the sloth guy, the fluff guy, the flyer guy, the Lakers guy, the scared lady, the running mom lady, the Kermit iced tea lady, the tapir guy, and the sponge bob egg rock guy. You folks really helped me put things into perspective, gave me great leads, and helped me realize that I wasn't broken, the Church was. Cheers to y'all and everyone else I forgot!

All the best,

foolmeonce
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

MalcolmVillager

Re: Resolved Not To Lurk (as much)

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Welcome back. I am a fellow birth Utard but still in the MorCor (East Idaho). I am jealous that you all got out. I have a hard time pushing DW as it is all about community and not doctrine for her. I am resigned to keep my mouth mostly shut until/unless she wants to learn more.

foolmeonce

Re: Resolved Not To Lurk (as much)

Post by foolmeonce » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:44 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:32 pm
Welcome back. I am a fellow birth Utard but still in the MorCor (East Idaho). I am jealous that you all got out. I have a hard time pushing DW as it is all about community and not doctrine for her. I am resigned to keep my mouth mostly shut until/unless she wants to learn more.
Not living in the MORCOR was pivotal to my transition. Being constantly surrounded by good people who are not Mormons caused a lot of head scratching over my lifetime. For a while, I came up with some pretty good explanations on why God would allow so many really good people to be put in positions where they could not join the church.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.