sup

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Anti-Mormon-Moroni

sup

Post by Anti-Mormon-Moroni » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:31 am

Hi. I’m a believer and a lover of Mormonism. I love going to church, except it’s boring sometimes, but I really like the brotherhood, the opportunities to grow and watch other people grow, and the theological and social ‘home base’ it offers to my family. I thrill to observe smiling groups of people chatting happily in the foyer, and when I see pain it looks like hard-earned growth to me, so I like to be around to extend my heart and hand if I think it would be any help. So, yeah, I thrive on church and have no desire to get out.

But I also draw a distinction between the expansive theology and the restrictive institution. I have a lot of issues with the institution, and the institutional shrinking and confining of the theology into safe little boxes that aren’t as safe as they’re intended to be, and are often even dangerous or exclusionary. I mostly keep my issues to myself IRL, so I usually go on Reddit to freely express my two senines, but a friend told me to give this place a go. I have no taboos, and I pass no judgement. The most annoying thing about me is that I have an opinion, and my opinion is always right – I’m pretty full of myself so apologies for that in advance, my only redemption is that at least I'm aware of it.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, nothing much changed.

Red Ryder

Re: sup

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 am

Welcome.

We like opinions and open discussion. Please feel free to discuss your nuances with us. Most of us here have deep seated issues with the church but are still attached through family and marriages. The snark, humor, and pain here is real and sometimes raw so please don't be offended. The wit and wisdom is found here is better than any fry sauce!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:09 am

That's an interesting intro! I'm anxious to hear more from you :)

Welcome!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Anti-Mormon-Moroni

Post by Anti-Mormon-Moroni » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 am

Red Ryder™ wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 am
The snark, humor, and pain here is real and sometimes raw so please don't be offended.
No worries. I think I'm the last person to be offended. The pain is real and the snark has been, and continues to be, earned. I just happen to feel the pain more in the form of empathy for it, and sorrow for what leads to it, instead of a personally being in that place myself. I may be a whackjob, but not the kind that joins a NOM forum to ask people to be careful of my tender feelings and tiptoe around my fragile faith.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, nothing much changed.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Anti-Mormon-Moroni wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:31 am
my two senines,
:lol: :lol: :lol: Took me a minute to recognize that word.

Welcome!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Howdy, Glad you're here.
There are a few folks here that have a mindset similar to yours. Look forward to seeing you around.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Welcome. We look forward to you input and perspective.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 am

Just like the church says......

Visitors welcome...... but we really mean it.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:27 am

I'm totally out. But, I choose to be respectful despite differences.

I read a book a while ago--found out about it through Greg Prince podcast. Its called "Why I Stay". Those in the mix were highly educated, and despite doctrinal problems most struggled with, there were other reasons they stayed. The book was a good read because I intentionally sought for empathy as I went through it.

So, welcome to the group. I may not agree with what you write (dang, half the time I don't even agree with what I WRITE)...but I will be respectful. I to look forward to your input.