Hello, Again

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
Give It Time

Hello, Again

Post by Give It Time » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:01 pm

I was first Leia, then Hypatia and finally Anya in the pre-existent NOM. My issues with the church were are patriarchal and how strict gender roles create an atmosphere for domestic violence. I wrote too much about this. I'll try not to write too much about this.

My current spiritual leanings are toward Taoism, but I think I'm mostly a seeker.

I have a new bishop who seems to be better. My ward situation has improved a little bit.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Rob4Hope

Re: Hello, Again

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Well, welcome back.

I'm kindof a newbee...but you have been around here it seems.

You will get no arguments with me about the misanthropic attitude of the TSCC. Its culturally woven into the history, the doctrines, the policies, the day to day life. At the milder side of the spectrum, it appears discriminatory, and toward the more brutal side, it justifies all kinds of horrible things, including but not limited to physical, sexual, emotional, financial, and mental abuse.

I am a guy--and this is a topic I have NOT delved into much--but I have seen it my whole life. I was blind to it until my sister (who left the LDS faith some 40 years ago at a teen) opened my eyes. Now, I am blown away by my own blindness.

Anyway...like I said above, welcome back.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Thank you, Nephi.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your sister. Lots of respect, there. Something that goes beyond holding the door open. Nice to meet you.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Welcome back! Missed you.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

a1986

Post by a1986 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 am

Nephi wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 pm
Well, welcome back.

You will get no arguments with me about the misanthropic attitude of the TSCC. Its culturally woven into the history, the doctrines, the policies, the day to day life. At the milder side of the spectrum, it appears discriminatory, and toward the more brutal side, it justifies all kinds of horrible things, including but not limited to physical, sexual, emotional, financial, and mental abuse.

I am a guy--and this is a topic I have NOT delved into much--but I have seen it my whole life. I was blind to it until my sister (who left the LDS faith some 40 years ago at a teen) opened my eyes. Now, I am blown away by my own blindness.

Nephi I'm curious, what did your sister say that "opened your eyes?"

a1986

Post by a1986 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 am

And welcome Give it Time, I'm brand new here myself. :)

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 am

Thank you and Hello, 1986.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 am

Welcome back GIT!

((((Hugs))))

I'm happy to hear from you!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 am

a1986 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 am
Nephi wrote:
Well, welcome back.

My sister left the LDS faith when she was 13. She was angry because, from her perspective, she saw the LDS woman's place as pregnant all the time, slaving away in the kitchen, never having a career or going out and enjoying the world, and always being controlled by old white men. She also saw "shame" as being a way to control, and it was applied to her in ample doses--not only at home, but systemically from the ward as well.

I grew up in Liberty Stake,...right in the heartland of SLC. In fact, some of the GAs came from that stake--it was OLD and ESTABLISHED. So, the culture there was very much indoctrination and shame based control.

Well, this sister wasn't having any of that--she wanted a self determined life, and she was offended at a deep emotional level by the control. As she began to rebel against the control, she was told: "You are going to end up in hell!" She figured, well, since everyone says I'm going to hell anyway, I mise well enjoy the journey....and off she went: drugs, all kinds of sexual escapades, and on and on.

She has come full circle (and her and I have talked long and hard about our crazy childhood). She follows a messianic Jewish belief now--very devout, and its done her good in her life by the way. But, she sees the LDS church as a misogynistic cult that practices necromancy (baptism for the dead), spends money on things other than human life (City Creek), and follows symbolic suicide with temple covenants.

She is WAY out. But it all started with how she saw LDS white men treat women as a child. She also saw racism that was rampant. And, she wanted to know why there weren't any girls in control either. Whole thing blew up...and BLOW IT DID! Was a war zone when I was growing up.

This sister?....she is NOT a weakling. She is VERY determines and VERY VERY VERY Strong as an individual.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am

We are glad to have you back. The biggest loss from the old site was years of profound conversations and a history and those personalities as people had their faith transitions. We always enjoy regaining some connection to long time posters.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:38 am

((Hugs))

I'm so happy you are back!!!

Taoism is a beautiful religion. A lot of its beliefs resonate with me.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:38 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:38 am
I like saying How Tao Brown Cow.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Red Ryder™ wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 am
Welcome back GIT!

((((Hugs))))

I'm happy to hear from you!
Thank you, RR! {{{Hugs}}} right back!

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am
We are glad to have you back. The biggest loss from the old site was years of profound conversations and a history and those personalities as people had their faith transitions. We always enjoy regaining some connection to long time posters.
Hey there, Corsair! Good to hear from you!

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:41 pm

MoPag wrote:
((Hugs))

I'm so happy you are back!!!

It is. I'm just beginning to learn about it, but what I've found, so far, I like.

Hi! BTW

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:38 pm
MoPag wrote:
I like saying How Tao Brown Cow.
First time I read this, I thought it said

How Tao, brown chow!

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Nephi wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 am
a1986 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 am
Nephi wrote:
Well, welcome back.

My sister left the LDS faith when she was 13. She was angry because, from her perspective, she saw the LDS woman's place as pregnant all the time, slaving away in the kitchen, never having a career or going out and enjoying the world, and always being controlled by old white men. She also saw "shame" as being a way to control, and it was applied to her in ample doses--not only at home, but systemically from the ward as well.

I grew up in Liberty Stake,...right in the heartland of SLC. In fact, some of the GAs came from that stake--it was OLD and ESTABLISHED. So, the culture there was very much indoctrination and shame based control.

Well, this sister wasn't having any of that--she wanted a self determined life, and she was offended at a deep emotional level by the control. As she began to rebel against the control, she was told: "You are going to end up in hell!" She figured, well, since everyone says I'm going to hell anyway, I mise well enjoy the journey....and off she went: drugs, all kinds of sexual escapades, and on and on.

She has come full circle (and her and I have talked long and hard about our crazy childhood). She follows a messianic Jewish belief now--very devout, and its done her good in her life by the way. But, she sees the LDS church as a misogynistic cult that practices necromancy (baptism for the dead), spends money on things other than human life (City Creek), and follows symbolic suicide with temple covenants.

She is WAY out. But it all started with how she saw LDS white men treat women as a child. She also saw racism that was rampant. And, she wanted to know why there weren't any girls in control either. Whole thing blew up...and BLOW IT DID! Was a war zone when I was growing up.

This sister?....she is NOT a weakling. She is VERY determines and VERY VERY VERY Strong as an individual.
I grew up near there in an, I'm guessing, adjacent stake. The timeframe also sounds similar. I had a prominent feminist in my ward, so feminist leanings were more tolerated--humored, really. Anyway, my father hated this feminist. I mean really loathed. So, public face/private face and all those interesting dynamics. I'm glad your sister's found a path that suits her.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 am

Welcome back.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:23 am

LSOF wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 am
Welcome back.
Thank you.