The Saga of Akhilleus

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
achilles

The Saga of Akhilleus

Post by achilles » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:13 pm

I’ve been a NOM for three years now and haven’t attended a church meeting in all that time. It has been a difficult journey, but one I am glad that I have taken. On the occasion of our newly minted forum, I’ve had an opportunity to reflect on how I got to where I am now.

I am a lifelong member of the church. I grew up in a small Mormon town along the Mormon corridor—you know, one that was founded by Mormons and has remained predominantly Mormon. Our small town was an entire stake, and nearly everyone within four blocks of my house was active Mormon, inactive Mormon, Jack Mormon, or ex Mormon. My parents were inactive but believing members who didn’t go to church, but still wore garments, kept the WoW, and all that. The town was solidly conservative, Republican, and proud of its simplicity and lack of worldly sophistication. All this would have been great, except that I am a liberal, highly educated, artistic gay man. It took me a long time to accept myself as who I am, and that didn’t really happen until my late 30s. 

I was pretty much inactive until I was 15, although I was baptized and ordained at the usual ages. I had close friends in band who were also on the Seminary Council. They invited me to take Seminary, and I accepted. We were studying the BoM that year, and I read it from cover to cover and was converted. After that I attended Church regularly.

But there was a problem in the making…(actually two problems). When I was two months shy of my 14th birthday I figured out how to m*********, and I also figured out that I liked guys. A lot. After my conversion I was wracked with guilt. I remember walking a mile to the church to meet with my bishop. I didn’t want my parents to know, so I couldn’t get them to drive me there. I told him that I was attracted to guys. He took it very well. He shared Ether 12:27 with me, and almost implied that my attraction might be a gift given me to care for my brethren. I could not, however, tell him about the other thing…

So after a year of college (during which I fell in love with my best friend…) I went on a mission. Liked being in Japan and loved working with all the other missionaries, although I had major anxiety over finding. I became a TBM, and knew that I had to “work on” my homosexuality if I was going to have any kind of future as a Mormon.

I bought into the whole reparative therapy thing. It was all talk therapy, group therapy, and ropes courses—no electrodes or pron. I had six bishops in a row pay to make me straight with fast offerings, no questions asked. All of them felt sorry for me, and none of them could do anything for me (including one of E Ballard’s sons). I served in many music, teaching, and EQ callings and tried to pretend I wasn’t gay. It worked until I turned 31 and got booted from singles wards. After that, I went to college to get a PhD, and then moved to the Midwest to teach college for five years. I was terribly alone. After being there for about a year, I finally realized that my sexual orientation wasn’t going to change. I realized that the Brethren had no idea what they were talking about in regards to so-called “same sex attraction”. Either they straight up lied to me, or maybe were doing some serious wishful thinking, but I realized they weren’t prophets, seers, and revelators. I felt betrayed that they pretended to know, while I sacrificed for fifteen years to try to change. I believed that I would never be accepted by the Church or God until I changed my sexual orientation. But I couldn’t. Because you can’t.

I became suicidal. I was looking for ways to kill myself for about a month, at which point I realized I was in serious trouble and needed help. For the first time in my life, I started seeing a non-LDS therapist. As I attempted to explain all of the pressures from the Church that I felt were driving me to hopelessness and suicidal ideation I had a sudden realization. Somehow trying to explain the Church’s beliefs about sexual orientation and the pressure I felt to agree with the Brethren forced me to look at the situation from an outside perspective, at which time I realized how crazy my life in the Church must sound. As if in an instant, the Brethren no longer had any power over me. I decided that since the Church was driving me to the hopelessness that was making me suicidal, I must stop going to Church.

I really thought about my situation objectively--I had been feeling terrible all the time becaue of my homosexutality and m***********, but was a great human being. I am a good person, and no words from out of touch old men or constant confessionals could change that. I finally began to like myself.

Even though I stopped attending Church, I became addicted to the LDS blogosphere. And for the first time in my life I began to study the “real” history of the Church. After studying the Documentary Hypothesis, Egyptian history linguistics and culture, cosmology, geology, and the fossil record I realized Mormonism and Christianity was all a pious fraud.

So what now? I’m a 42 year old virgin living with my parents for the companionship. I no longer go to Church, and have finally come out to my parents. I am agnostic about the claims of Christianity but feel I want to maintain ties with all my LDS friends, so I am doubly in the closet with them. During all this time, NOM has become like a ward family to me. I am so glad we got it back up and running. I am happy to meet all of you.

P.S. I just realized I didn’t tell you anything important about me. I am a musician, a Virgo, I love to play instruments, cook, garden, read about science stuff, take care of dogs, watch Star Trek, and play Dungeons and Dragons. Wow, I just realize how nerdy all of that sounds… :lol:
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

GoodBoy

Re: The Saga of Akhilleus

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Have you tried gay dating sites?

I'm so sorry for the pain that the church has caused you in your life. I wish you love and happiness into the future!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:12 pm

My stomach got all twisted up in an angry knot for what you've been through . . . I'm so sorry, and so glad that you were able to see the toxic mormon nonsense for what it is. So glad that you survived. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:22 pm

Good to meet you, again, on the new-NOM, Akhilleus.

So does this mean you are again living in a small Utah town?

Your story is a bit like my younger brother's, including the mission, living in Utah, many counselors and therapies to reverse the orientation (yea right). But due to conflict with our parents over being gay he never moved back home. Our father believed to his dying day that homosexuality could be reversed, really not very rational view given what my brother went through, the years of prayer and effort that failed to move his basic biology.

My brother eventually (some time in his late 20s or early 30s) realized that to maintain mental health he needed to resign from the church. He then had a number of relationships, several serious, and eventually ended up in a very stable gay marriage, living in another state. And this was back when gay couples had to go to Canada to be married, which they did. My brother found his soul-mate online, even back in the 90s ... But not a dating site, just a chatroom where gay men were hanging out.

I hope you find a good way to move forward.

Punjab

Post by Punjab » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm

Achilles...はじめまして!

I too spent two years over in Japan and in spite of my current beliefs I hold very fond memories of the people and the missionaries I served with. My companion in the MTC was an amazing and talented person...and he was gay. He obviously was not out at that time, but I believe he had some hellacious trials during his mission because of it. We never spoke of it during or after our time in Japan, but then when he died quite young, I was left with regret that I never approached the topic openly with him. He always knew with certainty that I was his friend, but I still wish he could have known that I knew he was gay and that it didn't matter at all to me. I had another good friend in the same mission that was gay and I've recently reconnected with him on FB after 35 years. I'm looking forward to having some open discussions with him when my wife and I are up in Utah early next year. I find it sad that my nature was always to treat my two friends no differently because they were gay, but socially I was alright with nodding my head while I sat and was taught that they were sinners. I realize now that I never believed what I was being told in church about gays, but you go along with it because it was part of the bigger truth you did believe in.

Punjab

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:32 am

Thanks for sharing that NOM brother. It makes me so grateful my gay daughter found her way out of the church soon after high school and didn't have to go through so many years of torture like you did. She lives outside of Utah now, has a girlfriend and seems very happy. Looking back at my divorce and my daughter's struggle with same sex attraction explained a lot about her behaviors and unhappiness.

I'm glad I never knew about her being gay when I was a full on koolaid drinking TBM. I don't believe I would have been one of those parents trying to fix her because I was more liberal and open minded than that, but I think it was better I didn't know until later on when I was approaching the NOM zone. Finding out she was gay was one of the heavy items on my shelf. It was fun celebrating with her when Utah law against gay marriage was smashed. The gay policy leak last year was just one more confirmation of many that my exit from Mormonism was the right choice.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:41 am

As if in an instant, the Brethren no longer had any power over me. I decided that since the Church was driving me to the hopelessness that was making me suicidal, I must stop going to Church.
I could have sworn I heard a choir of angels when I read that line.

I am saddened and angry at treatment you received from the church in repayment for your service and loyalty, but I'm happy that you had this epiphany. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:36 pm

It's good to have you on 2.0. I am an LGBTQ ally with a brother, cousin, friends, employees, and neighbors in the community. It breaks my heart the way the COJCOLDS treats all of us in regards to sex, gender, and roles. It is extremely unfair and flat out wrong on the topic. TOO many lives are ruined, hearts are broken, and relationships are destroyed because of the judgment, hate and labels they promote.

My gay brother is out and furious. Others I know struggle in their various levels of involvement with the church.

Good luck to you. Glad you find some solace here.