Me

If you are new to the board or simply have something new in your life, come let us know in the Introductions forum.
ulmite

Me

Post by ulmite » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:02 pm

I lurked for a year or so and then tried to register right when that stopped working. I'm glad this got up and running again!
Ever since I first stumbled across NOM, I have strongly (and secretly) identified with being a NOM.
I currently am positive that God loves me and everyone. I view life after death as a great get-together for most of humanity. It seems quite clear to me that the LDS church is not the one true church.
I feel quite blessed to be who I am (explanation coming!). I am quite intelligent, and am doing a math major in the best college in the country. Perhaps because of that, or because I am still emotionally 5 years old, I have a lot of self-confidence, and so for me it's been rather smooth sailing as far as a faith transition goes. I've never been consumed in self-hatred or self-doubt for any long periods of time, and I don't really feel social pressure. I never had a testimony of anything more precise than what I have stated above, my parents discovered the bloggernacle some years ago and have taught me to think critically about religion. All of this has led me to my current view : I believe that the church doctrine contains some important teachings about humankind's relationship with the divine, while being blatantly wrong on other issues.
I think I am in a rather unique situation here : I never felt my faith shatter, because I never really believed in anything that is evidently false, and I still hold on to elements of mormonism and my own spiritual experiences. I don't have a personal grudge against the LDS church. I believe that it will eventually get rid of its flaws and hope that that will happen sooner than the 2200s. I honestly can't fully understand how difficult of a time most of you have had, and much less how hard it is to have a believing spouse.

I hope I don't sound arrogant, I don't mean to.

trophywife26.2

Re: Me

Post by trophywife26.2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Welcome (officially)! I'm happy to hear you're in a healthy place and can take what works for you from the church.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: Me

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:41 am

One of the best things about NOM 2.0 is that we are gaining new members again. Welcome, ulmite!

I am no longer sure what I believe about deity anymore, except that if there is a god no religion has a monopoly on knowing or having the right to dictate anything about him (including whether gender has anything remotely to do with it).

You said that "church doctrine contains some important teachings about humankind's relationship with the divine, while being blatantly wrong on other issues" and I agree with you. I learned some important principles about human relationships with each other as a mormon, and I still think D&C 121 is, (ironically) a brilliant commentary on influence and leadership. I'm trying to not throw the baby out with the bath water -- it sounds like you're in a very healthy place in that respect. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.