2017 Gospel Doctrine

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
Brent

2017 Gospel Doctrine

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:01 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: 2017 Gospel Doctrine

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Well first lesson today. As expected, nothing profound or historical was dicussed. Simple intro to the D&C. I am a known trouble making pariah and happened to be the only one in class that could answer the question posed about where the D&C came from originally (IE the book of commandments, lectures on faith, the articles and covenants of the church of christ).

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 am

This was one of the rare days I was actually looking forward to GD class, but I was visiting an out of town friend. I just wanted to get a feel for the tone this year. I suspect it will be a year of Praising the Man (who communed with a rock).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:36 am

So yesterday was my first time in Sunday School in 7 years. And it was soooo boring. But I guess going from a group of 9-11 year olds constantly telling me about minecraft, and school/sibling drama, to a group of exhausted adults who really don't want to be there; it's bound to boring.

I knew the lesson would probably hit on D&C 1: 38 "whether by mine own voice or the voice of my servants it is the same." And that really stresses me out because probably most members interrupt that as "any thing the Q15 say is the same as god saying it." And that is super destructive because the Q 15 aren't god. They are a bunch of old, white men who are -for the most part- sexist, homophobic, racially insensitive etc.

So I was trying to fulfill my NOM calling and think of ways to get my fellow ward members to really examine that widely held "voice of my servants" belief. But I didn't really have any good ideas. Anyways, thank the Gods we didn't even get to that part in the lesson and it all ended with a little old lady saying that she thinks the scriptures are just trying to teach us to be nice to one another. Which I think is a great thing to get out of the hot mess we call scriptures. So SS was boring but not as bad as I thought it would be.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:55 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:36 am
So yesterday was my first time in Sunday School in 7 years. And it was soooo boring. But I guess going from a group of 9-11 year olds constantly telling me about minecraft, and school/sibling drama, to a group of exhausted adults who really don't want to be there; it's bound to boring.
I love that about Primary - kids make it focused on more honest interests. The other day, I ran into an old TBM friend who tends to be a bit outspoken which didn't set well with the new bishop so he said the bishop sent him to "Purgatory" (Primary) but he's happy there.