Lesson #5 "This is.........Revelation"

Discussions about holding onto your faith and beliefs, whether by staying LDS or by exploring and participating in other churches or faiths. The belief in any higher power (including God, Christ, Buddha, or Jedi) is true in this forum. Be kind to others.
deacon blues

Lesson #5 "This is.........Revelation"

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:15 am

This weeks lesson covers D&C 6,8,9 and refers to D&C 7, and 1:8-17. Due to a busy week I haven't done my reading :roll: yet, but I do recall D&C 8:6-8 contains the well known revision of Oliver's gift from sprout/rod to the gift of Aaron. I think this is a good opportunity for members to become aware of some of Joseph Smith's revision work on the D&C. I may go to class this week because I'm singing in Sacrament mtg. so I can't decide whether to keep quiet, just comment on on it, or take my Joseph Smith Papers:Translations book and do a show and tell. :?:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

DrTxn

Re: Lesson #5 "This is.........Revelation"

Post by DrTxn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:12 am

I think the real question that can be asked under cover is, "I have a lot of religious neighbors who are good people. Some are Catholic and some are Muslim. They have had spiritual witnesses testifying the truth of their God. How do I know my spiritual witness trumps their spiritual witness? Taking this even further, their are many branches of Mormonism. How do I know that the Book of Mormon is true and Warren Jeffs is not a prophet of God?"

As a side note, here is an article on spiritual witnesses:

http://unews.utah.edu/this-is-your-brain-on-god/

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 am

In my class, the teacher steered clear of historical aspects, and concentrated on revelation. Personal revelation. This lesson will continue next week. He did refer us to the revelations in context, which talks about the divining rod, sprout, etc. which is setting me up for some questions for next week. We watched a video on JS translating the BoM and then letting OC try to translate. They plopped the gold plates on the table and began looking at the plates and translating... Just like what really didn't happen. I have some questions prepared for next week.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 am

I was out of town visiting my parents and did go to church with them. The version of this lesson I received was tone down even further into a nebulous talk on receiving revelation for ourselves. I don't recall that Joseph Smith or Oliver Cowdery were mentioned at all in the lesson I attended. I was tempted to bring up the question of people in other faiths receiving their own inspiration, but I was sitting next to my father and did not want to disrupt a class where I was a visitor.

It simply did not feel like any of that lesson was going to apply to me. I welcome anyone to demonstrate otherwise. The lesson was more of a sociological observation that Mormons continue to believe how they are the only ones that are actually talking to God. While God does generically love all His children, all other belief systems are simply deluded about their chance to talk to Him.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:24 am
The lesson was more of a sociological observation that Mormons continue to believe how they are the only ones that are actually talking to God. While God does generically love all His children, all other belief systems are simply deluded about their chance to talk to Him.
I don't really get this. Thousands of Mormon kids have been sent all over the world. I would think that by being in other cultures, meeting other people, they would have a less myopic view of the world, but it just isn't so. I never went on a mission, and I'm not well-traveled (although I am well-read) but I imagine that being in another place meeting other people would open the mind and with a little humility help people realize that God is bigger than Mormonism. Even as a TBM this confused me. The last time I went to Ward Council the bishop emphasized that god only hears Mormon prayers because mormons say it right. I really don't get it.