I have passed the garment hurdle

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

I have passed the garment hurdle

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Because of home church bringing up some uncomfortable discussion content, I took the opportunity to have a crucial conversation regarding garment wear and it actually facilitated a less emotionally charged transition than if I had just stopped wearing them without discussion.

So far I'm on 2 days and 2 nights without and no tears shed.

My wife told me she knows mine are in terrible shape and she acknowledged the long amount of time I have been without a recommend and knew it was an issue. I told her how I couldn't bear buying new ones from the church given my change in belief.

It worked out better than I could have imagined. Of course she is still sad about it but I think open conversation mitigated some of the stress for both of us.

RubinHighlander

Re: I have passed the garment hurdle

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:19 pm

Woot! Digital high five! Congrats!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:23 am

Congrats... it's a huge bandaid to rip off, but I think you did it in a much better way than just trying to not wear them around.

When I went back to normal underwear, it was such a weight off of me. It did make me resent the church for making my wife wearing them more as they are possibly the least attractive underwear and shirts ever created, but it is what it is.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Congrats!

Now go and get Five Finger Eve to partake!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Just bumping this to see how it's going for you 5FM. I'm on my second week and it's been smooth sailing.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm

My wife has adjusted in a healthy manner and I am really enjoying not wearing 2 shirts in the hot summer weather. I also like not having white poly-cotton hanging out from shorts and necklines signaling virtue and compliance to the world.

It's a nice lifestyle improvement.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm
My wife has adjusted in a healthy manner and I am really enjoying not wearing 2 shirts in the hot summer weather. I also like not having white poly-cotton hanging out from shorts and necklines signaling virtue and compliance to the world.

Excellent well!

With some additional privacy fabric on the west fence, I'm enjoying even less (sometimes zero) clothing in the backyard on these warm summer evenings. Spy at your own risk!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:07 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 am
Spy at your own risk!
I'm pretty sure I spotted your goods on GoogleEarth!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm

That's for sure. I was already ditching the jammies at every opportunity: camping, outdoor activities, yardwork... but now it's really nice to be comfortable all the time.

Also, I no longer get those exorcist-holy-water-style burns.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Nicely done. I should have had more discussion before trying to ditch mine.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm
Because of home church bringing up some uncomfortable discussion content, I took the opportunity to have a crucial conversation regarding garment wear and it actually facilitated a less emotionally charged transition than if I had just stopped wearing them without discussion.

So far I'm on 2 days and 2 nights without and no tears shed.

My wife told me she knows mine are in terrible shape and she acknowledged the long amount of time I have been without a recommend and knew it was an issue. I told her how I couldn't bear buying new ones from the church given my change in belief.

It worked out better than I could have imagined. Of course she is still sad about it but I think open conversation mitigated some of the stress for both of us.
Congratulations!

It's fantastic! I never thought my wife would get rid of hers but she has since 3-4 months ago.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:44 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Congratulations!

It's fantastic! I never thought my wife would get rid of hers but she has since 3-4 months ago.
Congrats Stealth! You’ve waited patiently for this day to come. I’m still dreaming about the day Sister Ryder ditches her britches.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:22 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:44 pm
stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Congratulations!

Congrats Stealth! You’ve waited patiently for this day to come. I’m still dreaming about the day Sister Ryder ditches her britches.
I REALLY hope it happens for you two. I never thought my wife would. Not in a million years. It's literally like winning the lottery for me.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:43 pm

"The garments have been passed. It is time for a new generation of Fruit of the Loom to step forward and begin its wearership."
-- Elder JF Kennedy, address to the Ladies International Garment Workers Union, E. 42nd St, New York
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha