Videos to help kids find the middle way

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Newme

Videos to help kids find the middle way

Post by Newme » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am

After listening to conference, and seeing how my kids have been subject to mind-control (follow the prophet instead of following God), I've wanted to help balance their perspectives.

I came across this video, by a Yale guy explaining how it doesn't have to be polarized (either/or) thinking - either 100% faith & no reason... or 100% reason & no faith - but it can be a mix of both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPHXNMi9tA

Another one is this TED talk which explains how science and faith can both be passionately believed in, as he does. I like how he explains that science and religion both have the same goal - to find truth - but by different tools, and that you can take the best from both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMmWtklzMQA

Have you guys come across any other good clips that might help kids (young & old) find the middle way?

RubinHighlander

Re: Videos to help kids find the middle way

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 am

I like the first video because it provides a good description of beliefs and their context.

The problem I have with the second video is that he really needs to separate religion from a belief in God. Science can and has proven religious beliefs as false. Religion attempts to define who God is and many make claims as such. Many religions make truth claims to certain events that have been proven false, like the great flood or the 7,000 year old earth creation story, etc. Also, those religions with that state they have all the truth and their people are more special than all other people, they are simply false claims.

So defining God from the view of any particular religion, especially in the context of the special people with the one true way narrative...that's a problem in my opinion. Claims of what or who God is and the afterlife description of heaven and hell can never reconcile with science, at least for those religions that do not allow for critical thinking or debate on their dogma. When he says religion's goal is to find the truth, but that religion does not allow for debate and does not embrace the facts that science derives, that does not reconcile for me. Seems he's just doing the mental gymnastics, using his faith in his religion to fill the gaps that his science didn't fill. That is okay with me as long as he and or his Baptist friends don't come knocking on my door to tell me I'm damned to eternal hell because I don't believe in their version of God and Christ.

Now, I may be coming across as atheist. Since leaving the Church I admit I've had a big swing that direction. But I still believe there is some power out there that kicked off the big bang. In my mind it's not a white haired old man who dabbles in the daily affairs of humans, but something I don't understand that may or may not be aware of my existence. I've come to be okay with being on a path of continual discovery and not knowing the answers of what my purpose is on this planet. It took me a while to be okay with that feeling of not knowing and being on a path of continual discovery. I fill the spiritual gaps in my life with getting out into nature and studying more about all the sciences. I am more grateful for my existence now than I ever was as a TBM.

As for my kids, I'm more concerned that they have good critical thinking skills and understand how easily humans can get duped by religion, governments, pseudo science and other man-made institutions. Thanks to my X, my kids were out of the church before I was. But, my X also got them into some magical crystals pseudo science BS. So I've been encouraging them to watch all the Theramine Trees videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ-vHE ... ITEg-n3OeA

I think these videos work well for my 3 kids that are 18 on up. With my 15 year old, I'm just trying to get her through the drama of Jr. High by focusing on basic school work and the good and bad consequences of her social interactions. Since the church is no longer clouding her world view, it's a continuous path of discovery for both of us.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing. These were pretty thought provoking.

Newme

Post by Newme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks guys.

Rubin,
Your objections of the 2nd clip make sense from a strictly logical perspective. Ie: Logically, it's painfully obvious that the first humans were long before the supposed Adam & Eve abt 6,000 BC, and people didn't live hundreds of years during Noah's time - they just measured years in shorter terms. When people take religion as historical or literal facts, it's ridiculous and actually misses the point spiritually as well as being illogical.

However, when you consider religion in terms of functional illusion - mental, physical health & social benefits, science (controlled studies) actually show religion as true - when truth is considered that which causes influence. ;) Not true as in factually true - but placebo effect - helpfully truly influential in personal lives. But some studies also show it to be harmful - it depends on interpretation & application. Fanatics & those not religiously involved at all did poorer in a study about health, than those moderately religiously involved.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue May 02, 2017 4:19 pm

This might be going a little far but many people who transition out of strict faith and rigid belief find comfort from this great thinker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRrCYPxD0I
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.