Do temple oaths really help?

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
deacon blues

Do temple oaths really help?

Post by deacon blues » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:44 am

I have become aware, in my friend's live's, and from reading posts on this and other forums, that it is not uncommon for those who have been to the temple, to break their vows of chastity. Do you think making such vows really helps where the rubber meets the.....road? (Sorry if that seems tasteless, I couldn't resist.)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Corsair

Re: Do temple oaths really help?

Post by Corsair » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:04 pm

I suppose we could find somebody who stayed faithful in the face of temptation due to temple covenants. My feeling is that the chastity covenant is undermined by the other three covenants which are really self-serving to the institutional church. The other three are obedience, sacrifice, and consecration which have very few defined ways they are implemented in a person's life other than to obey your leaders, be reverent in church, and pay your tithing. Chastity seems to be the only one that the average Mormon can precisely define how to apply it in their everyday life. The covenants don't feel directly consequential unless you are already "church broke" to begin with.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:37 pm

I doubt the "temple oaths" "help" t any more than the "till death do us part oaths" that folks who marry outside the temple make.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Well, as you pointed out to me the other day, wtfluff, when we make an oath in the temple we are really making it with a trademark. Maybe the still small voice isn't very well projected by a trademark.

I think the law of chastity oath only works when the other person involved in the covenant breaking isn't LDS, in which case the sight of garments might immediately terminate the negotiation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:31 am

Hagoth wrote:I think the law of chastity oath only works when the other person involved in the covenant breaking isn't LDS, in which case the sight of garments might immediately terminate the negotiation.
Ha! Brilliant!!!

To add a bit to my previously of-the-hip comment: Anecdotal evidence shows that the divorce rate among "temple married" folks is pretty much the same as folks not married in the temple. I'd imagine the "cheating rate" among temple married folks follows the same lines.

Not cheating on your spouse probably has a lot more to do with personal integrity than it has to do with "where" the actual "oath" to your partner is made...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:57 am

To me it did, not the oaths in itself.
But the realization that my wife, gave herself to me.

Who was I so send her away after her sacrifices, her help, her supplications etc. etc.

So yes, it did help us, or me, to keep trying in our marriage.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"