Another Testament of Marriage

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
ThirdTier

Another Testament of Marriage

Post by ThirdTier » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:57 pm

Does anyone have experience with another testament of marriage?
"I wish I was special" Radiohead, Creep

SincereInquirer

Re: Another Testament of Marriage

Post by SincereInquirer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:19 pm

Yes. DW is a member of that group. I am pretty sure that there are several others here that have a spouse in that group.

My experience with having DW in the group has not proven to be a positive for me or our relationship. I think there have been some positives for DW, but overall participation in it has been a downer.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:44 am

What is "Another Testament of Marriage"?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:24 am

Just This Guy wrote:What is "Another Testament of Marriage"?
Yeah, what?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

chesteridaho

Post by chesteridaho » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:36 am

"Another Testament of Marriage" is a private Facebook group for the believing spouse in mixed faith marriages.

My DW is a member. Many of the posts are the believing spouses posting horror stories from their marriages. My DW has come to me several times after reading about someones spouse going off into the "deep end". At times it has helped because she realizes her situation is not as bad as some and is grateful for the slow approach I have taken to my change of faith. Other times she freaks out that I am going to become one of the red-eyed, coffee drinking, drunk spouses that she reads about in the group.

On the other side, I know that a few times she has received positive support and some good advice that has helped our relationship. From the things she has shared with me I have become more empathetic to the impact that a faith transition has on the believing spouse.

She mentioned a couple of weeks ago that she doesn't read the group's posts as often as she used to, because she didn't like reading all of the sad stories of people getting divorced.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:29 am

I tried to get my wife to join that group but she declined. I was hoping that additional perspective would help her process my transition and hopefully appreciate that I still participate in the ward. This has not worked well so far. I fear that I should simply walk into my house drinking coffee to have the conversation I would like to have with her.

chesteridaho

Post by chesteridaho » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Corsair wrote: I fear that I should simply walk into my house drinking coffee to have the conversation I would like to have with her.
This accidentally happened to me. This past weekend my wife was visiting family in SLC, so I brought home my coffee lab (AeroPress) from the office. I accidentally left my spouted glass measuring cup out on the counter. She was not happy when she discovered where it came from. We had a long talk. I understand that I was the one that changed the rules of the game. She understands that my rules are now different. So, I agreed to no coffee in the house and she has no problem with it at work.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

My wife is in that group. Those people are crazy. I don't think she posts much there. I have mixed feelings about it. Like with all things church related, including that group, if you give them enough rope, they will eventually hang themselves because the crazy rises to the top and shines brightly.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:00 am

chesteridaho wrote: This accidentally happened to me. This past weekend my wife was visiting family in SLC, so I brought home my coffee lab (AeroPress) from the office. I accidentally left my spouted glass measuring cup out on the counter. She was not happy when she discovered where it came from. We had a long talk. I understand that I was the one that changed the rules of the game. She understands that my rules are now different. So, I agreed to no coffee in the house and she has no problem with it at work.
I find it interesting how many spouses have issues with seeing evidence of something they know is going on. My wife for instance knows I drink, she's accepted this. We've even agreed I can enjoy a beer in my man cave as long as I'm not getting hosed and keep the evidence out of sight (which leaves me sticking beer bottles under my shirt or in my pants pocket on my way to the man cave if she's in the living room which I have to pass through). The other day however, I was expecting her to be in her home office so I simply had it in my hand when I bumped into her entering the kitchen. I nonchalantly stuck it in my pocket without raising a fuss but I'm pretty sure she saw it as she dropped an item she was holding in what I presume to be shock.

In my case, she knows and accepts my actions, so she didn't complain since I wasn't doing anything against the rules by what I did but she was shocked nonetheless. In your case, she knows and accepts you drink coffee at work but wasn't happy when confronted by physical evidence confirming what she already knows (unless her concern was you were sneaking your coffee drinking into the house, that's a somewhat different scenario given the understanding you have with her on the subject).

Life, it's a wild ride.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Giant Sloth

Post by Giant Sloth » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:46 am

My wife joined it when I was disbelieving and she was believing.

She found it distasteful the way people spoke of their spouses as a "trial".

She quit it after a few weeks. Eventually she quit church with me.

AzCommando

Post by AzCommando » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:59 am

Hermey wrote:My wife is in that group. Those people are crazy. I don't think she posts much there. I have mixed feelings about it. Like with all things church related, including that group, if you give them enough rope, they will eventually hang themselves because the crazy rises to the top and shines brightly.
Maybe I should direct the wife, or maybe not. I never heard of this group. Excellent thought Hermey. LMAO. :lol:

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:30 pm

I may be mistaken, but is that the private group that evolved out of the Faces East forum? That forum is still online, although not very active. The problem I have with that forum is that it all starts from the point of view that the believing spouse has to bring the disaffected spouse back to the church. Pretty much thinking inside of the Mormon box. That is not terribly helpful. The support the believing spouse needs is something that will allow them to respect the choices of the disaffected partner as having equal validity with their choice to stay. You cannot get there from orthodox Mormonism.

I think the reason Faces East went to a closed FB group is that they were getting more unorthodox posts on that forum than they wanted. They wanted more of an echo chamber.

I would like my DW to find support online, but only if it is of a more pragmatic bent with little if any magical thinking. I have not found that yet, so I have not suggested any to her.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born