It's the little things...

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Lady_Macbeth

It's the little things...

Post by Lady_Macbeth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:54 pm

I've been slowly smuggling stuff out of the house for over a year. DH has not noticed, or at least is not saying anything.

This is the latest batch headed to the D.I.

Unfortunately, the shelves are still very full of books I can't wait to get rid of... hopefully with him.

Red Ryder

Re: It's the little things...

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:13 pm

You can't get rid of settlers of zerehemla! What will you do on Monday nights?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Maybe somebody's getting Settlers of Catan for Christmas. It can be played on any day of the week.

I still refer to my Ancient Setting book by Sorensen from time to time, just to reaffirm that he really did say that horses, oxen, cattle and pigs are all names for tapirs.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Lady_Macbeth

Post by Lady_Macbeth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:01 pm

We'll get Settlers of Catan when the kids get a little older. This Zarahemla version never made it through a whole game.

I also rearranged the bookshelves and put the Freemason books right before the Church History books ;)

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Oh you sneaky little devil! I found it quite healing when I tossed my church stuff in the trash.

:lol: I just read all your titles side ways.... thought "The Papers of Joseph Smith" was "The FABLES of Joseph Smith!" ..... fables, papers .... all the same made up stuff!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:53 am

I'm glad to see other NOMs with similar quiet rebellions. My wife and I are replacing flooring and repainting through much of our house. We are doing it room by room over a longer period of time so we don't displace ourselves completely. But all the pictures have to come down at some point and we have quite a lot because my mother is a really good painter and we have a lot of her art. I truly do enjoy her paintings along with a couple of pictures of Jesus. There are lots of photographs of family members also. But there is one photograph containing three people I have never met and neither has my wife. I have increasingly disliked seeing the smiling mugs of Dieter, Hank, and Tom in my front hallway despite how nice these guys probably are in real life.

With any luck this picture will get lost in the movement of pictures, paint, tools, and furniture. It's underhanded I admit, but no more dishonest than the 2017 Primary manual that still shows the "plates on the table" Book of Mormon translation method with no hats or rocks in sight. I am making a decision about one item of home decoration without consulting my wife. This is arguably better than how Joseph Smith did not consult Emma on the first 18 women he joined in an eternal sealing before Emma received that critical ordinance. Besides, if she ever wonders where that picture ended up, perhaps we can finally have a conversation about belief that she has refused to have with me so far.

beetbox

Post by beetbox » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am

Corsair, before you throw them out, could you first draw some mustaches, monocles, blacked-out teeth, etc. on their faces and share that with us? It's childish, but I still appreciate a good defaced picture of someone. There are some things I never grew out of.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 am

beetbox wrote:Corsair, before you throw them out, could you first draw some mustaches, monocles, blacked-out teeth, etc. on their faces and share that with us? It's childish, but I still appreciate a good defaced picture of someone. There are some things I never grew out of.
I'll have to bring it to lunch some time. Ideally I have to keep in sequestered for some time in case Mrs. Corsair asks about it in the next few weeks. I would simply prefer it to disappear from her recollection. If she thinks about it too quickly I don't want to be (correctly) accused of discarding it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:26 am

Corsair wrote:But there is one photograph containing three people I have never met and neither has my wife. I have increasingly disliked seeing the smiling mugs of Dieter, Hank, and Tom in my front hallway despite how nice these guys probably are in real life.
Maybe it's just me, but how to those three dudes not find it creepy that there are millions of homes all over that have their photos hanging in them? Not to mention all of the church buildings and temples... C-R-E-E-E-E-P-Y. [shudder]

On the same note, I wish I could make the Proclamation Against The Family™ that's hanging on my wall at home "disappear." :cry:

Many old manuals have been sacrificed to the gods of recycling, and I actually have a leather-bound copy of "It's a miracle that anyone ever, ever gets forgiven" that is slowly getting sealed together with glue. "One cannot read a sealed book," no? (Yeah, it's completely childish, yet very cathartic; All at the same time...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

shadow

Post by shadow » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:52 pm

wtfluff wrote:I actually have a leather-bound copy of "It's a miracle that anyone ever, ever gets forgiven" that is slowly getting sealed together with glue. "One cannot read a sealed book," no? (Yeah, it's completely childish, yet very cathartic; All at the same time...)
Just got around to reading this. Holy cow. What a gem.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:22 am

lol about the Miracle of Forgiveness. That is genius.

I just throw away anything LDS related when it surfaces. I haven't found anything in months.

Even at my most TBM, I never had a picture of prophets hanging on my wall. I always thought that was shades of creepy like the pictures you see of FLDS people's homes. At BYU, my roommate and I came home one day to discover that our other roommate had wall-papered our living room with Ensign pictures in an effort to get us to be more spiritural in our apartment (eyeroll). There was a long and not particularly friendly roommate discussion that evening.

There is still a picture of my husband and I in front of the temple hanging in our house, but I don't know how to get rid of it as we were young, dealing with a wedding far from home, and we didn't get any professional pictures taken or take wedding pictures elsewhere. It makes me sad, but I know it would bug my husband more to see the wedding picture come down (he doesn't care about the place) than it bothers me to see the picture in general.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Just last weekend I think we finally purged the last of it from our shelves and storage boxes. As tempted as I was to burn it in the fire pit I don't think it would add any savor to the smores. I felt better about putting it into the recycling bin, no sense increasing the carbon footprint.

There is one book I kept that I'll never read:

https://www.amazon.com/GODS-COVENANT-RA ... B0022V8ATS

I found an early edition in an antique store for a couple of bucks. It was just one more artifact of the backward bigotry of past Mormon doctrine and culture.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE