In Which I asked Spouseman for a vow redo

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Thoughtful

In Which I asked Spouseman for a vow redo

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Not renewal, a redo.

I want different, better vows that don't treat me like property, ones that are based in love and equality, and ones that aren't open ended for him to acquire a harem in the eternities.

He cracked a joke about telling me he loved me before and if it changes he'd let me know. But he did listen when I outlined my issues with 132.

Just This Guy

Re: In Which I asked Spouseman for a vow redo

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 am

I defiantly want to hear ideas as well. DW and I are planning a vow renewal for later this year. We want to make it our "wedding" on our terms, not a church thing. Haven't got too far in the details yet. So I'm looking for inspiration.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am

Wow. Good for you.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 pm

That'd be great. I wish I could ask the wife for a renewal/redo of vows that her non-member father could be present for, but I suspect it'd not go over well.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 am
I defiantly want to hear ideas as well. DW and I are planning a vow renewal for later this year. We want to make it our "wedding" on our terms, not a church thing. Haven't got too far in the details yet. So I'm looking for inspiration.
The incorrect word in that first sentence amuses me. It might even quite work as written.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

This is something I'd like to do also... If the relationship with Spouselady ever got back to the point where I could actually bring something like this up.

Could go either way unfortunately. :|
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
The incorrect word in that first sentence amuses me. It might even quite work as written.
I never remember how to spell that. If it doen't come up as miss-spelled, I tend to not think about it. That leads to things like this. You would think I would learn...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
In my head, I'm picturing the beach at sunset, just the two of us, share our promises and then get some really good food. No one else needs to be there, but I want it to happen.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 pm

So far our plans are a B&B/Event venue in southern Virginia will be the site. We'll have a small ceremony with some various friends and close family, maybe 30 people total. Good food. Some how we will involve horses.

We want elements of a traditional wedding that we never got in the temple. But we still want something that we can have a good time with friends.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 pm
So far our plans are a B&B/Event venue in southern Virginia will be the site. We'll have a small ceremony with some various friends and close family, maybe 30 people total. Good food. Some how we will involve horses.

We want elements of a traditional wedding that we never got in the temple. But we still want something that we can have a good time with friends.
Sounds lovely! I really like it.

I'm not sure we have any friends who understand, and would probably get a lot of TBM, "everytime we go to the temple it's a vow renewal" nonsense.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:01 pm

We've booked a trip to Hawaii and plan to steal an evening away from the kids. I think that will do for what I want.