Peoplemaking

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Thoughtful

Peoplemaking

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm

I just started reading this book by Virgina Satir. $20 on Amazon.

It's about creating a functional family. Spouseman and I are reading it together, with our own family in mind as well as navigating the difficult relationship with his parents. Long story short, I confronted his mother about her behavior that has been absolutely detrimental to my teenage daughter's mental health. She proceeded to gaslight my daughter and I and whines to Spouseman about it in text messages. It's been a very traumatic week for my family. Spouseman's colleague sent him a copy of the book when he shared with him what is going on.

Even though we have a lot of combined background in mental & behavioral health, it's been a good format to regroup and reconsider how to approach both parenting our own family and setting boundaries with his family.

If anyone has read it, or is interested in reading it, I would be up for online discussion.