Taking a small one for the team

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Batman

Taking a small one for the team

Post by Batman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Recently had tithing settlement. I really don't find it necessary and think it is a total waste of so many people's time.

This is something important to my dw and she likes to have everyone go as a family. I was going to let them go without me and let her declare my status for me. Not something I have done before. However, I decided that I would just go and suck it up. In reality, is 15 minutes that big of a deal? This was a small thing I could do for her that really wasn't going to cost me much. I mean, I already did 3 hours, right?

I mentioned beforehand that I did not really want to go and thought it was a waste of time, but if she wanted me there with her I would go. I let her know my true feelings about it, but she could see that I cared about her feelings as well. Sometimes I want to make a stand on everything just on principle. But, I think little things like this can go a long way in helping our relationship.

What about everyone else? Are there things you do that can help instead of cause tension?

Red Ryder

Re: Taking a small one for the team

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:38 am

I've done the same thing for 7 or 8 years now as a non payer. It's tough but she feels it's more important to go in as a family. I told her a family email would be more efficient.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:30 am

I am prepared to once again attend tithing settlement and summon my best poker face telling my good bishop that I am a full tithe payer. Maybe I could try attending tithing settlement this year with a drink in me. I think a great, new podcast series would be attending a variety of LDS functions after a couple of drinks and getting the inebriated perspective.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:50 am

Corsair wrote:I am prepared to once again I think a great, new podcast series would be attending a variety of LDS functions after a couple of drinks and getting the inebriated perspective.
I'm game for this, I've already openly proposed in front of my DW taking my spiked fountain drink into sunday school class/EQ. And she knows it was more than a simple joke.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 am

Red Ryder wrote:I told her a family email would be more efficient.
When our bp asked about their process this year and for suggestions/comments, I told him we could all save a lot of time and just email him our status next year. He chuckled and said that would be great and allow him to eat lunch with his family. He quickly backtracked saying that of course he loves spending time with the ward members and really enjoys the chance to meet. That might be so, but I think he would love to switch if that mandate came down from the COB.

oximormon

Post by oximormon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:07 pm

I take the advice of Nancy Reagan, and 'Just say NO'

My DW still wants to go, but with me saying no, and the kids not so keen either, she usually goes it alone.
It is one of the only concessions I have with regards to the church....

Although I have said when the church is fully transparent, then I will be too.

Oxi

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:45 pm

I have done the email declaration for the last three years and not any complaints from wife or Bishop. This year I'm too lazy to even send an email.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:49 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:I have done the email declaration for the last three years and not any complaints from wife or Bishop.
I think I will seriously consider this for next year. However, I should not wait until ten minutes before the appointment to tell my dw.

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Corsair wrote:I am prepared to once again attend tithing settlement and summon my best poker face telling my good bishop that I am a full tithe payer. Maybe I could try attending tithing settlement this year with a drink in me. I think a great, new podcast series would be attending a variety of LDS functions after a couple of drinks and getting the inebriated perspective.
Sounds like Drunk History.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Stig wrote:
Corsair wrote:I am prepared to once again attend tithing settlement and summon my best poker face telling my good bishop that I am a full tithe payer. Maybe I could try attending tithing settlement this year with a drink in me. I think a great, new podcast series would be attending a variety of LDS functions after a couple of drinks and getting the inebriated perspective.
Sounds like Drunk History.
Heh. More like Drunken Current Events. We could play it like a game show. The contestants all start with enough drinks in them so they would be mildly impaired and have to make their way through a variety of LDS tasks without anyone catching on that someone's BAC > 0. They have to talk their way out of driving, but talk their way in to temple worship, group scripture study, and bishop interviews.