Coming out as a coffee drinker

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Thoughtful

Coming out as a coffee drinker

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:32 pm

I'm being open about this on FB. Coffee has changed my life. Also told my SIL I resigned myself and my kids. It feels really good. Still haven't told my parents I'm out but they know at least Im not active and had at least considered resigning. They don't know I actually went through with it.

Corsair

Re: Coming out as a coffee drinker

Post by Corsair » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:40 am

I commend you for this step. I would love to do the same but it would put quite a strain on my mixed-faith marriage. It's ironic since my wife is the one that really needs caffeine to operate and she ends up with energy drinks. A good black coffee would do wonders for her, but this is a conversation that is currently impossible.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:16 am

I have been trying to switch from soda to tea. Green and black teas. At first I had to drown them in honey, but I have been slowly decreasing the amount of honey and that seems to be working. Now when I drink soda it tastes really sweet.

DW thinks coffee breath is unpleasant, so I haven't gone venturing there.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:00 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:16 am
I have been trying to switch from soda to tea. Green and black teas. At first I had to drown them in honey, but I have been slowly decreasing the amount of honey and that seems to be working. Now when I drink soda it tastes really sweet.

Try chai tea. My daughter hates the taste of tea, except chai. She used to shudder and ask me how could drink grass water. Then her new husband introduced her to what the military in Afghanistan were drinking, it is a mix of hot chocolate and chai tea. She now tells the places that serve tea how to make it, so she is going to Starbucks and teaching them to make it and then ordering it daily. Pretty good actually.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:04 am

Coffee and tea can be insidious. You start off with tea and pastries as an afternoon pleasantry with those of the British persuasion and the next day you find yourself all disheveled as you get out of bed and stumble to the kitchen looking for a cup of the demon coffee. You have just stepped out of The Mormon Zone.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:53 am

slavereeno wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:16 am
My wife hates the smell of coffee. I started there but have since migrated over to tea. I'm quite enjoying it and I can have a cup next to the wife on the couch without her scrunching up her nose in disgust. Indeed, and can offer her a smell of teas I find particularly interesting and she'll fairly regularly find it interesting and sometimes even appetizing. Of course she grew up a tea drinker, I think if the Church came out announcing tea was okay she'd be joining me in a heartbeat.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.