wtfluff, thank you requesting this.Random wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:41 pmI would really like the honest truth about all of this stuff. I hear "truth" and "true statistics" from both sides of the camp.wtfluff wrote: ↑Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:29 pmActually, I'd like to see where S.P.G. got those "statistics."
I've heard/seen the opposite: The actual overall death rate has increased, even though with the shutdowns, death rates have decreased in other areas, such as car accidents.
(You should start a new thread S.P.G., so we quit jacking up jfro's frustrated thread. It's probably frustrating him to him.)
Honestly, I usually cannot reproduce some stats I quote because they might be in an some article I read, or part of a conversation I had.
For example: Someone backed their truck up into my Jeep (15 years old) back in June. The insurance company told me where to take it. Of course, we did the mask, no touch, meet outside thing. Being who I am, I ask how things are going, how COVID was impacting them. The girl almost started crying. Their business had almost completely died. The damage to the Jeep wasn't that bad, it ripped off a mirror ($42 online) and left a big dent lower part of the door. I felt really bad just taking the $2000 and buying a new washer and dryer.
But, that got me to thinking and thus researching. It seems that taking 50% of the people off the road didn't reduce accidents by 50% but rather almost 100% People weren't crashing. So I looked around some more. Apparently losing your job and getting unemployment is statistically less deadly than the stress of going to work. Then from what I read, hospitals basically stopped reporting heart-attacks, or cancer deaths, or death related to medical mistakes, (~250,000 annually). We know that just because there is a pandemic people with cancer aren't suddenly healed, so some got labeled as Covid-19. The number of deaths due drugs deceased for the first time, though I'm a little unclear on the time frame for that.
I think it was an article from the NIH or something like that said "normal death" was down almost 20%. The normal risks, like driving, work related accidents, work stress, even exposure to drugs came down.
I'm open for discussion. The CDC recently released a report that said only about 6% of the death was strictly Covid-19. The other 94% involved other deadly diseases (mostly being older then the US life expectancy.) The average age of covid-19 deaths is 78 years, which is actually the life expectancy in the US. My "spidey-senses" told me early on that this was extremely contagious but not that deadly, if you got the right doctors treating it. Life is dangerous and this adds risk, but it doesn't warrant this level of panic.
My step-daughter's father (sounds weird, but we are in mixed relationships) contracted this just last week. My step daughter went her uncle's funeral (now not sure how his dead, but we know he's been on the edge for more than a year) where a total of 13 people have tested positive for covid. Her father, a life-long republican, laughed at it for the first 3 days, but then called the ambulance for he and his wife. They are doing ok, but they are close to that dangerous age. It seems that everyone will be OK, but yeah, when you can't breath, you get a little freaked out.