In Faith and In Doubt - Audiobook

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Obadiah_Dogberry

In Faith and In Doubt - Audiobook

Post by Obadiah_Dogberry » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:23 pm

I am listening to this book right now and am finding it very helpful. It's great practical advice on mixed faith marriages and is geared towards the believer and unbeliever equally (or at least my bias sees it that was as the author is an atheist). It has helped me see my situation with more hope and I'm optimistic DW will listen to it to.

One think that the he repeats many times is the difference between belief and values. And while us apostates beliefs may have changed we still share many of the same values that our spouses have.

Has any body else read/listened to it? I haven't seen it recommended before.

https://www.amazon.ca/Faith-Doubt-Relig ... 0814433723

MalcolmVillager

Re: In Faith and In Doubt - Audiobook

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Sounds interesting. I am seeing that DW and I are more often on the same page than not. We both have similar doubts about literal parts of church and also share the same values. It may be worth reading or listening to though since no couple is completely in sync.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:02 am

I did read that book. It was helpful in some practical ways, but the biggest help was how it simply showed how the challenges of mixed-faith marriages are common. Mormons were called out (along with Jehovah's Witnesses) as having a particularly tough time with an unbelieving spouse.

Obadiah_Dogberry

Post by Obadiah_Dogberry » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:02 am
I did read that book. It was helpful in some practical ways, but the biggest help was how it simply showed how the challenges of mixed-faith marriages are common. Mormons were called out (along with Jehovah's Witnesses) as having a particularly tough time with an unbelieving spouse.
Yes, knowing that we are not alone is key! I do like how Mornmons and JW's are called out specifically. May hope is that DW would ask herself why this is the case. IMO, anytime that TBM's can see themselves in the same boat as JW's its a win.