How successfully do you focus on the bright side?

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Mad Jax

Re: How successfully do you focus on the bright side?

Post by Mad Jax » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm not sure if I'm answering in a way you expect, but here goes; I find that the bright side gets brighter for me as time passes. I miss the community of the church and the peer group acceptance (as long as you believe) but on the other hand ideas that used to bother me no longer do, and I find comfort in them now. Some of them are:

This is the only life you have.
There is no god watching over humankind.
The universe is the result of natural law and nothing else.
Humans are part of the animal kingdom and subject to evolutionary drive.

And so forth. Now I know this is not universal, and there are people here who aren't secularists, but I can only speak for myself and I can say that there is now only serene acceptance of these facts. Unfortunately, even with my own comfort in them, there are others in my family and community who are not at peace with my lack of belief. Nevertheless I can only be true to myself and sometimes it stings when you lose others, but it ultimately comes with a self assured understanding that I'm being true to what I genuinely believe, and I can't control the response of others. This may be of little comfort, and I hope you find some kind of balance with whatever you are struggling with, but that's the best answer to the question I can give. Good luck.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.