Hope or Hopeless???

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Re: Hope or Hopeless???

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Bloodhound98 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 pm
Yeah I think this was my first post. I didn't want to hear the anger and wanted to believe that I would never go through that. I don't bash the Church but I've learned a lot in my short time and I can now understand why people are angry.
I guess my only lesson is that people who question might get turned off quickly and whatever little window you might get to convince someone of the "truth" can be swept away with anger. But I completely understand the need to vent and get things off your chest that your family especially spouses might not agree with.
Very well said
I figured I was a few weeks behind the discussion, but I got some feels that seemed relevant as I read through your thread and wanted to get them out.

You are totally correct that being angry will shut down any possibility of discussion with most TBMs. I am far more tactful in those discussions, largely because almost no one knows of my disbelief. I told one friend who I can be open with and I got a little passionate, and he told me I sounded angry, so I try not to get too passionate about the wrong things for TBMs.

How are things going for you?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 pm

So absolutely horrible would be the best answer. Lol I got a little cocky and was like how can anyone not want to know the origin and truth behind the BoA??? Well answer is....Not many peeps at all! I have found out that 3 friends are still in but don't believe at all. That's kinda fun to talk with them.
My wife has been slightly annoyed at my obsession/addiction to this process. I can't get enough! So I've had to learn how to balance my beliefs and my missionary voice! Lol

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:35 am

Bloodhound98 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 pm
My wife has been slightly annoyed at my obsession/addiction to this process. I can't get enough! So I've had to learn how to balance my beliefs and my missionary voice! Lol
I'm confident that there is no one in my stake that could hold their own against me in reciting and arguing LDS and biblical (and probably Book of Mormon) history. This is a common result that lots of people on this board could replicate because most of us, like you, go through the manic period of reading and studying the church with far more fervor than when we were believers.

In a very real way, it's refreshing when you start to get bored with LDS history and doctrine. It's a sign that your mind is ready to tackle something far more meaningful to itself.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 am

Bloodhound98 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 pm
So absolutely horrible would be the best answer. Lol I got a little cocky and was like how can anyone not want to know the origin and truth behind the BoA??? Well answer is....Not many peeps at all! I have found out that 3 friends are still in but don't believe at all. That's kinda fun to talk with them.
Sorry to hear that Bloodhound! That's great that you have some IRL friends to commiserate with though. Were you nervous to bring it up with any of them?

Your DW is only slightly annoyed? That's a miracle right there. My DW and I walked through the valley of the shadow of death together for a week after I told her. She was destroyed, our eternal family was destroyed, and what trust she had in me was destroyed.

The obsession can get a little much for me sometimes too. I have to take little sabbaticals from NOM to try to focus on the other parts of my life. Ultimately, I don't really want to have the church be the center of my obsessions. But for now it is, and I guess that's ok.

Good luck on the journey.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Yeah my DW is awesome in that she truly wants me to be....She just might not want me to tell her about me to the point that I want her to be like me! That make sense?¿? She's really fantastic and if I had a pioneer wife this would be epic and utterly useless. I recently found a husband in my ward that has a devout TBM wife and they struggle big time. So he's super jealous of my situation. But I've take a break and she jokes about me not believing anymore and what not. Truth be td I haven't been to church ot because we are possibly moving and work has been super hectic. So for the time being I'm safe