MIL: Sherri Dew says you're lazy and just want to sin

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Re: MIL: Sherri Dew says you're lazy and just want to sin

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 am

Nice comments on the amazon review pages.

This one makes me chuckle.
One troubling story, however, was her struggle to understand why the children of gay parents could no longer be baptized. Perhaps if Sheri Dew understood the laws of nature, she would realize two members of the same sex could never have legal custody of their children unless one of them divorced a previous spouse, thus breaking one of the most important of God's commandments. This might also explain the reason why former first counselor in the Relief Society general presidency, Sister Carole M. Stephens, recently acknowledged that more than half (fifty-one percent) of the women in this church are currently single.
Does Sheri Dew really struggle with the policy? I doubt it only because it appears it's super convenient for selling more books. She's an opportunist and clearly hasn't wrestled with her faith. The only wrestling she's done is Monday Night Jello Wrestling with Wendy Watson Nelson while Elder Nelson cheers them on eating popcorn from his lazy boy recliner.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Generally, I only say this when I people feel the need to throw in their two-cents worth, but are misguided. If you aren't a trained professional in something like a faith crisis/transition or if you haven't been through one, yourself, you need to just zip it.

So, Sherri, MIL, God bless you, zip it. Just zip it.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Margarita

Post by Margarita » Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am

I hope that it is okay to just mention this or ask a question about Sheri Dew..but I heard that she had already been sealed to a prophet. (Or will be)..does this sound familiar to any of you? This I have heard a few times..don't want to judge or mis-characterize her situation..but it has been in the rumor mill for quite some time.

I used to admire her...a shame that her business credentials and intelligence was put only to the use of the church.

Random

Post by Random » Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 pm

desertrat wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm
When the policy was announced that the children of gay parents might not be eligible for baptism at age eight,
Announced? Curious euphemism for "leaked".

Unless she was saying that it was announced in a meeting she was in. But why? Why would she be invited to a meeting talking about a book only men are supposed to read?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue May 23, 2017 11:14 pm

Margarita wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am
I hope that it is okay to just mention this or ask a question about Sheri Dew..but I heard that she had already been sealed to a prophet. (Or will be)..does this sound familiar to any of you? This I have heard a few times..don't want to judge or mis-characterize her situation..but it has been in the rumor mill for quite some time.

I used to admire her...a shame that her business credentials and intelligence was put only to the use of the church.
Rumors abound. Secret polygamous marriage (which I don't believe, but some do).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 am

I AM lazy and want to sin but that's not why I stopped believing in mormonism. I stopped believing in mormonism because it's a fairy tale based on a much older fairy tale.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed May 24, 2017 9:56 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 am
I AM lazy and want to sin but that's not why I stopped believing in mormonism. I stopped believing in mormonism because it's a fairy tale based on a much older fairy tale.
Let's be clear about the definitions of "lazy" and "sin" as used in your statement. Your are guilty of "sin" as defined only by the legal corporation headed by Thomas Monson. You are "lazy" only by not doing all the cultural and ecclesiastical activities defined by that same corporation. By that definition you (and all of us) are similarly "lazy and want to sin" as defined by Islam, since you don't pray to Mecca and eat bacon. You laziness with respect to Catholicism is evident with your lack of Praying the Rosary and eating steak on Friday. Jehovah's Witnesses see a long list of laziness and sin you are committing. Evangelicals have their own list of lazy sins condemning you.

However, those lazy and sinful Unitarians, Agnostics, Atheists, and other religious libertarians simply see you following the dictates of your own moral conscience, not the dictates published in the LDS Church Office Building.

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 am

Dravin wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:42 am
I love the double standard concerning doubt. If it's an investigator who is doubting say the Catholic church that doubt is good. Mormons wouldn't dream of telling said investigator that they should restrict their questions and investigations to talking with their priest, the Bible, and the catechism. If it's a Mormon who is doubting, they need to keep everything in house and if they ever reach the conclusion that Mormonism isn't true it's prima facie evidence they did it wrong.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!

Dravin hit this nail squarely on the head!

I've made this blatant hypocrisy point several times myself.

Other people SHOULD doubt. Other people SHOULD question. Other people SHOULD NOT just trust correlated sources from their existing religion/opinion/philosophy.

Damn church couldn't quit lying and misrepresenting things if it freakin' tried! But I guess that works, because it will never try.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut