A different Q15 --------- Question #10 (percent)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOWmormon

A different Q15 --------- Question #10 (percent)

Post by NOWmormon » Fri May 26, 2017 6:53 am

Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each temple recommend question, based on what you believe right now.

Are you a full-tithe payer?

Silver Girl

Re: A different Q15 --------- Question #10 (percent)

Post by Silver Girl » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am

Am I a full tithe payer to the LDS church? No. I was a full tithe payer during my membership, though. I'd sure like to get all that money back.

I now contribute regularly to another church, and am gratified that this church does not push tithing the way the LDS culture does, and it does not withhold "blessings" that should be available to all. At the end of each year, my new church asks members to let them know if they plan to donate in the coming year (and what the approximate amount would be), and they use those figures to plan the upcoming budget. They also make it clear that some people may not be in a position to donate, or that things like volunteer time, serving n a non-profit, donating to a cause, etc. are also forms of giving. I was nearly in tears the first time I heard that very loving and Christlike way of interpreting tithing. I also realized that even the subject of tithing gave me PTSD at that time. I've learned a lot in the past few years.

So - i now donate to that church, and I donate to causes, organizations or individuals that move my heart. Some are tax-deductible, and some are not. I also do volunteer work and service for others. The point of giving is not to get a tax deduction. The point of "serving" is not to complete an assignment that was inflicted upon you. It is the act of seeing a need and then filling the need in some manner, to some degree.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am

If my bishop were also my CPA then I can't imagine that I could possibly claim to be a full tithe payer. But he's not and never will be. The handbook simply says 10% of increase and no details or example beyond that.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri May 26, 2017 9:58 am

NOWmormon wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:53 am
Oh boy... Another fun one.

Here's my official answer: It depends.

If going by the dishonest, wink-wink, nod-nod oral tradition in the LDS Corporation today of "10% of income", NO, I'm not a full tithe payer.

If going by the actual definition of "10% of increase" as documented in the published cannon of scriptures of the LDS Corporation (and the handbook as Corsair mentioned); I overpaid for my entire tithe-paying career, so... I'm actually OK saying YES I am a full tithe payer for the next 20-30 years, until I catch up with my previous overpayment.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Fri May 26, 2017 10:05 am

I look back over the last several decades where I have had a full time job and paid tithing. If I add up all of the tithing I have paid over that time it is quite a large amount. I feel like I am good calling myself a full tithe payer even if I don't pay another dime.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 am

I pay ten percent of my income to organizations that do good - Habitat for Humanity, the homeless shelter, etc. So yes.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 26, 2017 11:52 am

Please define exactly what a full tithe payer. There are so man definitions, I can't tell.

Really, to the church, not at all. In a Christian sense, (giving to charity of your choice), not quite full these days, but we get as close as we can and as we find charities that interest us.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Sadly, yes, but more happily, our definition of tithing is evolving over time.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Fri May 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Nope.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Fri May 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Corsair wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am
If my bishop were also my CPA then I can't imagine that I could possibly claim to be a full tithe payer. But he's not and never will be. The handbook simply says 10% of increase and no details or example beyond that.
I can't remember who, but I think it was Rock Waterman who wrote a terrific post about tithing. If we go on that, yes, I am absolutely a full tithe payers in that I have nothing left after all those required expenses to tithe.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Fri May 26, 2017 7:05 pm

I refuse to give one cent to an institution which causes such suffering for young LGBT members. I am still deciding what to do exactly, so I answer "working on getting it set up".

Random

Post by Random » Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 am

Yes.

Note: I have a different understanding of paying tithes now.
If I don't make enough to provide (and have to have help), I am not supposed to pay tithing (thus, the answer is yes).
If I do make enough to provide, but have nothing to spare, I am not supposed to pay tithing (thus the answer is yes).
If I do have enough, then my tithing goes straight to the poor. No middleman is needed or wanted. (Scripture is plain that tithing is for the poor, and the Book of Mormon harps a lot on one of the main defects being that people will not help the poor, and even touches on fancy buildings and apparel which, imo, is referring to "Pay your tithing even if it means you go hungry, can't pay your bills, etc.," and then the money is used for upkeep on/building fancy buildings, and paying for fine clothing and cars, etc.) So, in this, my answer would still be yes, and a stronger yes than if I was paying to a sect.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

redjay

Post by redjay » Sat May 27, 2017 9:49 am

no
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat May 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 3:44 pm
Corsair wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am
I can't remember who, but I think it was Rock Waterman who wrote a terrific post about tithing. If we go on that, yes, I am absolutely a full tithe payers in that I have nothing left after all those required expenses to tithe.
Yes, that was a classic of LDS thought which will annoy the institutional LDS church for many years to come. I would certainly include it with the followup that referenced the Mission President Handbook.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you, Corsair. I would consider those required reading.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sat May 27, 2017 10:28 pm

This question no longer applies to me now that I have resigned but as an active TBM the answer was Yes. I try not to think of the thousands of dollars paid in tithing from the time I first was forced to pay it at age 8 by my parents (the church gotta have that dime!) to when my shelf fell at age 58 because when I do I can't control my anger or that sick feeling rising from my stomach. My only saving grace in preventing me from going completely mad visualizing all that money blowing in the wind is that maybe somewhere some of that money went to actually help someone.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I used to pay gross because I wanted gross blessings.

Now I plead the fifth. But I consider myself a full tithe payer.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 pm

I paid tithing on my gross my whole adult life. I think that means DH and I have prepaid until the end of time. So, no - we do not currently pay tithing to an organization that we do not believe in any longer.

Out of curiosity, I took a look back through my checkbooks and tithing receipts to see what our donations amounted too. It was very depressing - we could have been mortgage free years ago if we hadn't paid tithing. I could feel good about donating to a good cause if the money was used to support people in need, etc... but the church's tax filings show that 50% of what is raised is funneled to BYU. :evil:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun May 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Can of Worms wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 pm
but the church's tax filings show that 50% of what is raised is funneled to BYU. :evil:
A fellow Canuck, I'll wager?
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Sun May 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:41 pm
Can of Worms wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:31 pm
but the church's tax filings show that 50% of what is raised is funneled to BYU. :evil:
A fellow Canuck, I'll wager?
Proudly so! And very irritated that our kids are encouraged to stay in Canada for school yet half our donations are funneled to BYU.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill