A different Q15 --------- Question #13 - Garments

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOWmormon

A different Q15 --------- Question #13 - Garments

Post by NOWmormon » Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 am

Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each temple recommend question, based on what you believe right now
-
If you have previously received your temple endowment:
-Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?
-Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?
-
Question for you:
-If you no longer wear garments, did you cut out the symbols before discarding them?

Corsair

Re: A different Q15 --------- Question #13 - Garments

Post by Corsair » Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 am

This is one of the few questions with a figurative and literal material claim. And No, I don't wear the temple garment in the manner the church would prefer. Also, I do not cut out marks when I through them away.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 am

Question for you:
-If you no longer wear garments, did you cut out the symbols before discarding them?
I thought about it but ended up tossing them into the trash. All that week I thought about those garments sitting in the bin in the garage and contemplated retrieving them and cutting out the markings but then trash day came and then they were gone before I could do that. Then I waited for the voice of God to come thundering down from the heavens and chastise me for improperly destroying the garments. Crickets. It was quite revealing to realize the world did not care I tossed them away without cutting out the markings.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon May 29, 2017 10:40 am

I don't wear them (nor do I feel beholden to the temple covenants) , though there goes the church assuming covenants were made which weren't, and my wife is TBM and she dealt with my garments when I stopped wearing them. I assume she either has then stashed somewhere hoping I'll use them again some day or she discarded them after cutting the symbols out.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

redjay

Post by redjay » Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 am

I wear them most of the time to keep the peace.

Covenants? I do not consecrate all I have to the building of the LDS church: cultish request IMO. Not essential for my salvation and the institution does not do enough good in the world to call upon all of my time and talents and even my very life if needs be.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am

No, no, and no.

I did, however, laboriously pick out the threads of the markings on the garments I chose to keep. Those thermal long johns are nice to wear when snowshoeing.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon May 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Do I keep my covenants I made in the temple.

Obedience-no
Law of sacrifice-if I were asked, sure
Chastity-yes
Law Of Consecration-We aren't doing that, now. If we were, I wouldn't. I'll still answer this one yes, because anything's possible

Marriage-in the eyes of the Church, no. In my eyes and the Lord's, yes.

Tallying the answers for question one: 4 yesses, 1 no. So, yes.

Question 2:

As instructed, no. I don't recall having made a covenant to wear the garment. I don't remember covenant or swear or oath being part of the initiatory. I consider this to be a trick question. Since it's conflated in this way and it's a trick question, I answer yes and move on.

I might discuss the vague-aries of menstruation, feminine protection and it's incompatibility with garments. I might not. Depends on how much of a rush we're all in.

Last question. I used to, I don't anymore. I'm glad, too. That was a huge pain.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

All-Righty-Then. Let's just break this up into it's separate individual questions.
NOWmormon wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 am
No. Those "covenants" were made by an idiotic, 19-year-old kid, under duress. I not longer consider those "covenants" valid. But... As I've mentioned before, I'm completely open to discussing such "covenants" with the invisible, completely absent "deity" I made those covenants with any time they want to show up and have a chat; "My door is always open." So far, the church and the absentee deity have been completely incapable of living up to any part of their side of the covenants, so the "covenants" are invalid because of that absenteeism also.

NOWmormon wrote:
-Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?
The "instruction" in the temple was: Wear throughout your life. Nice and Vague. There is / was NO COVENANT to "wear garments" made in the temple. The question about a "covenant" to wear garments is dishonest, and manipulative.

Creepy polygamist ceremonial underwear should only be worn during creepy ceremonies...

NOWmormon wrote:
Question for you:
Though I don't wear them, I still have a bag of polygamy panties stashed somewhere. I hope I never feel the need to wear them again, and when they get tossed, that's exactly what's going to happen: they'll go directly in the bin. No wasting time cutting out Masonic symbols. The Masons who decided those symbols represented Masonry don't consider them to be sacred, there's no reason to think the plagiarized version of them is sacred either.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue May 30, 2017 2:43 am

For temple covenants, First off, I do not view the church as speaking for god, so they do not have that power. Second temple covenants are made under duress and without full knowledge and disclosure on the church's part. Again, I do not consider them to be binding at all. A God that would work that way is both cruel and an idiot.

As far as wearing garments, no I do not.

I actually still have a bag of them in the top of my closet. Last time I threw some out, they went straight into the trash. I didn't bother to hide the marking at all.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue May 30, 2017 7:26 am

I talked about covenants in the earlier question, so lets focus on garments.

Yeah, I wear them. But as I've said before, it's just underwear to me, it makes Sis. M happy to see them on me, and I'll pick my battles elsewhere.

But since they've put the garments in an online video, I'm less concerned that the trashman will see the Masonic symbols. So no, when I'll throw them out, out they go.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 am

NOWmormon wrote:
Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each temple recommend question, based on what you believe right now
-
1 Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple?
2 Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?
-
Question for you:
3 If you no longer wear garments, did you cut out the symbols before discarding them?
1 Not all of them anymore. I used to. I strongly believe I still keep the law of chastity. I keep a modified law of consecration - but consecrate entirely to my family and not the church.
2 No. Stopped wearing them about 8 months ago. They've all been disposed of now.
3 I did cut the symbols out of worn out garments when I was a believer. After my disaffection - No.

Side note, my biggest beef with garments is they are tied to polygamy. To the best of my knowledge, the modern church has never distanced itself or the garments from their original purpose. They've certainly added to the original purpose of garments, but never removed original meanings.
I think the Garment of Holy Priesthood could be a beautiful symbolic apparel for members of the church if they would pull their heads out of their arses and use it in a proper way and not some perverse controlling cult manner as currently employed.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:43 am
For temple covenants, First off, I do not view the church as speaking for god, so they do not have that power. Second temple covenants are made under duress and without full knowledge and disclosure on the church's part. Again, I do not consider them to be binding at all. A God that would work that way is both cruel and an idiot.
Amen to this ^^^

As for garments...I'm weird...I like them. No wedgies, no scratchy bra lace, no underwire boob jabs.

But, I am tall. The regular length garms hit me in the middle of my thigh, so I can still wear some shorts. And I really like wearing the calf length ones. They hit me just under my knee so when I wear my super skinny jeans/pants I don't have any panty lines. Maybe if I was regular sized I wouldn't like them so much.

Oh and I did lower the waist lines on some of them so they are more like normal underwear waist lines. (Thank you BYUI fitting and alterations class for the wonderful life skills you have taught me)

I thought about changing the symbols on them too. Maybe to something that reflects me beliefs a little better. But right now that just seems like a lot of work.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Random

Post by Random » Tue May 30, 2017 9:07 pm

I do not keep the covenant to give everything to the Church.
No, but I never made a covenant-in or out of the temple-to wear them. I was instructed, but that's it.
[Edit: as was pointed out, the instruction was to "wear them throughout your life," not day and night. Since I still own 2 pair of long johns that I wear on occasion when I get too cold, maybe I should say yes?]
Question for you:
I did the first time, but I don't think I did with the last set I threw away.
Last edited by Random on Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Nonny wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am
No, no, and no.

I did, however, laboriously pick out the threads of the markings on the garments I chose to keep. Those thermal long johns are nice to wear when snowshoeing.
Yep, nice to wear when it's cold. I still have two pair of long johns; wish I had three more but I'm no longer eligible to buy them. How hard is it to pick out the markings? I'd like to take them out.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue May 30, 2017 10:19 pm

MoPag wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 am
As for garments...I'm weird...I like them.
True confession; me, too. And they've never been "weird underwear" to me, because my mother wore them (albeit 1-pieces, because that's all there was when I was growing up). Seeing her in them got me used to them, I suppose. The reason I stopped wearing them was because they represented fealty to the corp instead of to God (not because I resigned. I figured I had the legal right to wear them if I wanted to-the corp never told me I couldn't, but even if they had, I would have worn them if I wanted to). I tossed them all. Then, when I was in a different frame of mind, I bought a couple pair so I could wear them with dresses, and bought a couple of long johns because I really like them (and wish I could buy long johns that cheaply, but sans the marks). I only have the long johns now, though.

PK

PalmSprings

Post by PalmSprings » Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 am

NOWmormon wrote:
-
This is a mute point since what I believed to be signing up for is not what it is in reality. But I probably am more "worthy" (I dislike that word) than the vast majority of TR holders, just because it's in my nature.
No I wear boxer briefs and briefs. I try to match color with what I am wearing that day. Preferred brands: Polo and Hanes. And there is no way I could be with someone who did wear them, big turn off.

Guy

Post by Guy » Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm

No on all accounts.
Even when I was an active believer I never wore garments.
At that time I had a hard time believing that God really cared about what underwear I had on!
Happy Dissenter :D

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Wed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Random wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 pm
Nonny wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am
No, no, and no.

Yep, nice to wear when it's cold. I still have two pair of long johns; wish I had three more but I'm no longer eligible to buy them. How hard is it to pick out the markings? I'd like to take them out.
Not too hard for me. But I sew and quilt a lot so I'm used to taking out stitches. LOL

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

No, I don't wear them. No, I don't cut out the marks, that's ridiculous. I remember dusting the furniture with my parents' underwear with little holes in it. It was silly then, it's silly now. They do make pretty good dust rags though.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Nonny wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm
Not too hard for me. But I sew and quilt a lot so I'm used to taking out stitches. LOL
You've given me the courage to try. I have a seam ripper. I will see what I can do with those two pair.

PK