I'm Alive

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
document

I'm Alive

Post by document » Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, everyone. A few people reached out to me to check up on me recently, and I really appreciate it. I have been incredibly busy at work and home recently and have had very little Internet time. Add to it that I'm in a really good place right now in life (which hasn't changed much in the past year or so) and all things are looking great and positive in my life.

The LDS church has diminished in its influence in my life significantly. Much of this has been due to natural drift from old friends and making new friends. This isn't an effort on my part, just something that occurs over time. My old ward friends are now a friendly exchange in the local grocery store or a smile in the park. I realized that I enjoy Facebook less and less and enjoy Instagram more and more, because I want to see a family smiling, not a political post or another sermon / scripture on how amazing God is. I stopped listening to Mormon-themed podcasts naturally, and started getting back into my love of history while out running.

Yes, I'm running again. I injured myself in my last marathon about 10 years ago and went from 41 miles a week to zero for six months. I lost my momentum and never got back into it, despite it being one of my favorite past times. So, I'm laced up again, and while I have no plans on marathon-running again, I am back running 3 miles a day and loving every second. I've taken back off the weight I gained during my post-marathon woes and I'm healthy as a ham.

I've really worked to include more "me" time during the week. When I got divorced I filled my time with volunteerism just to get myself out of the house and stop thinking about all of my problems. Now that I've worked through many of my issues, I'm starting to scale back my volunteerism to a reasonable amount (two days a week rather than five). I still volunteer at the hospital as a musician and I still haul books for the library. But on Tuesdays I watch a Science Fiction movie with a few of my friends and on Thursdays it is my quiet night. I go for a walk, read, play a few video games, and get an early night's rest. I have my children from Friday morning to Sunday night, so that takes up the rest of my time.

I've made some major leaps and bounds in my personal life recently. I paid off all of my post-marriage debts so I can finally start saving up for a down payment on a new house. The pain of my experience with a heavily abusive father is wearing off. The pain of my divorce is gone and feels like a previous life. I sometimes comment on the ex-Mormon sub-Reddit, but I even unsubscribed from that recently.

New Order Mormon has been a crutch throughout my transition. From the moment I was a doe-eyed believer who had a rug swept out from under himself to a bitter recently divorced, depressed, ex-Mormon. You all have been there for me, and I cannot thank you enough for all of your help in my life change. I'm still going to be around, although to be honest, Mormonism doesn't really interest me much anymore so I may not be much in posts about the church.

I would love to get more involved in the support forum and helping people. I want to return much of the same support that was given to me by this wonderful community of people. :)

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: I'm Alive

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed May 31, 2017 1:41 pm

I remember some of the posts from a darker time in your life, Doc, and it cheers my heart to hear that after all you have gone through you are in such a good place right now. :)
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm

My what a newsy update! It looks as if you have bounced back from the past ..... I knew you would. I look forward to hearing more from you. I always loved your comments.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Your life sounds lovely-intentional, compassionate and centered. Thanks for sharing.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Congrats Doc!

We should start up the conference calls again. I think you would be a great participant and able to help people through sharing your journey now that you've made it through the other side.

See you around.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed May 31, 2017 6:12 pm

So good to hear from I'm you Doc. You really sound well. I am so happy you are moving on and getting healthy and fit again.
~2bizE

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Wed May 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Yes, it's good to hear from you. So glad your life is becoming healthy and happy.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:05 am

This is really terrific news. :D

I'm​ glad you're doing well.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Doc.png
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:03 pm

It's always good to catch up with friends who are musicians. (If you like music, you are my friend, if you don't, heck your still probably my friend.) Running sounds cool. Are you still gigging on organ at the Episcopal Church? I've done depression, divorce, and the shelf-break myself. There is still a lot of good in the world- NOM in general and Doc- you in particular. Thanks for being in my NOM ward.:D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're doing so well.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

document

Post by document » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:53 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:03 pm
It's always good to catch up with friends who are musicians. (If you like music, you are my friend, if you don't, heck your still probably my friend.) Running sounds cool. Are you still gigging on organ at the Episcopal Church? I've done depression, divorce, and the shelf-break myself. There is still a lot of good in the world- NOM in general and Doc- you in particular. Thanks for being in my NOM ward.:D
Yup, still playing the organ at the local Episcopal church and loving it. :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:14 am

:)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."