Help Needed With Christ Centered Baptismal Prayer

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AllieOop

Help Needed With Christ Centered Baptismal Prayer

Post by AllieOop » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 am

I have been asked to give the closing prayer at a family member's stake baptism (shocking, I know....no one is more surprised than I am because this kid's father is the Bishop and they all know I have not attended church now for over 7 years). I am very close to this child and I am also very touched that he'd call and ask me to do this for an event that I know is very important to him. He was asked to give one assignment for this service (there are many kids being baptized)....ask someone to give the closing prayer.

So...I am going to try to avoid saying anything hypocritical in this prayer. I intend to keep it Christ centered.

What would you express in a baptismal service prayer that would reflect your honest feelings and still be meaningful for those being baptized?
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

moksha

Re: Help Needed With Christ Centered Baptismal Prayer

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:15 am

An inclusion along the lines of "May we be merciful, forgiving and non-judgemental as You requested, Lord. May we also care for the poor and needy by making sure they have needed health care". Those things sound very Christian.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 am

Being mindful that as these children have been baptized to show they are trying to follow Jesus's example. Help them honor their covenant to love one another, to mourn with those who mourn and to comfort those in need of comfort as Jesus as shown us the way. Etc.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 am

My first thoughts are why draw unnecessary attention to yourself with a Christ centered prayer? Just repeat the same closing prayer everyone else does. But on second thought you could really impress your family and friends with something like this:

Dear wonderfully kind Heavenly Father who destroys his unrightous wicked children with disease, famine, and aids; who favors his righteous mormon children, especially those with last names Hinckley, Monson, and Dew; the God of this world, whom hates the internet, funeral potatoes, and sauerkraut; yes, even the creator of this god forsaken planet we humans are fast destroying.

Heavenly Father, we thank thee for the opportunity to gather today to watch Timmy and his similarly geographically located friends who reside in the same boundaries of this marvelous stake of Zion, get submerged in the waters of baptism in a wonderfully white polyester jumpsuit, in a baptismal font that still displays the 1970's style tile made popular in the last known issue of Better Homes and Baptismal Fonts.

Heavenly Father, please respect these children who have demonstrated their uncanny ability to make life choices with out thought. These children's who will someday wonder if you really exist. These children who may grow up, stray from your doctrines, your rules, and avoid your home teachers.

Please Heavenly Father, spare them your mercy for they know not that someday they will sin, possibly be excommunicated, shunned, and emotionally beat down by the hands of your servants; yeah even thy own Stake President sitting behind this pulpit, yes, you over there in the white shirt and tie who has opened his eyes in this prayer.

We ask that thou will bless us as we travel home in safety even though it's 2 blocks away.

And if by chance seven years out has caused you to forget the most essential part of a Mormon closing prayer, here's a reminder.

"Please bless the donuts that they may nourish and strengthen us."

In the name if Jesus Christ amen.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:08 pm

I am trying not to see this invitation as an attempt to bring you back into the fold. Surely they all expect you to 'feel the spirit' while offering the prayer, admit you were wrong all along, and come back to church.

Anyway, I think you can just focus on the well-being of the child, no need to discuss Jesus. Express thanks for the opportunity to gather as friends and family > express hope that the child will be happy, live well, and seek truth > bless the refreshments to nourish and strengthen everyone's bodies > AMEN.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I would offer that children at the wonderful place of not fully confusing "The Church" with "Jesus". All the traits, powers and comfort of Christ are still Jesus-centric. All you really need to do is be honest in your prayer; what are you asking for? What do you wish for them? You're not worried about missions and callings and temple marriage because that's "The Church's" goals. What are your hopes and fears? You want them to be Christlike not necessarily checklist Mormons. You need not insult anyone because they should have the same Christian goals for this child that you do.

Be honest. Be charitable. Be hopeful. Ask your father to watch over them. Don't worry about what you say just speak from the heart.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:22 pm

I was going to come and suggest you pray to Heavenly Mother, but RR's prayer is the best prayer ever!!! :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:55 pm

The only thing I would add to RRs prayer is to acknowledge the less fortunate children of gay parents who through no fault of their own, nor Adam's transgression are not permitted to participate in the baptismal service and to receive the everlasting gifts of forgiveness of sins and the holy ghost.
~2bizE

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 am

Ok....I love all of these responses (RR's is hilarious!! :lol: ). Thanks so much for writing your thoughts and suggestions down as they've really helped me.

I was actually shocked when I received the phone call (from the sweet little boy being baptized). I know he loves me and I know this request came from him. I think it's great that the parents have respected his feelings.

I am going to take many of your suggestions and just offer a simple, heart felt, short prayer (isn't short what everyone wants for a closing prayer anyway? Ha!).

You guys are all awesome...thanks again!!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."