Jane Doe 1 Vs. LDS Church Berkley Springs, WV

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Just This Guy

Jane Doe 1 Vs. LDS Church Berkley Springs, WV

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Many of you remember me going on and on on the old boards about a lawsuit in my area where several church leaders conspired to cover up the child molestation by the son of a member of the local stake presidency.

I haven't paid too much attention to it lately, but I found that the process is STILL ongoing. The latest news is that the church and their lawyers tried to get a lot of the evidence about the conspiracy part taken out of the case. It was allowed by the local judge, but then overturned and reinstated by the state supreme court. So that has mostly cleared the way for this case to go before a jury.

https://www.journal-news.net/news/local ... e-forward/
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

2bizE

Re: Jane Doe 1 Vs. LDS Church Berkley Springs, WV

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I remember reading about this a few months ago. I wonder if the church will continue to fight this or will just pay the families out of sacred tithing money to cover it up...my guess is the latter.
Last edited by 2bizE on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm

From what I can tell, the lawyers are really pushing this to go to trail and so far they keep it moving in that direction.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:44 am

I'm glad this is, at least, getting some publicity and coverage.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:09 am

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing has happened a lot. I know for a fact it occurred in my stake about 25 years ago. The Church is lucky there aren't more lawsuits. And make no mistake, the Church is to blame for all the decades of putting men in positions of leadership and never training them on how to handle cases like this. Sure, they do a better job now than they did, but for years you had Bishops and Stake Presidents who didn't have the first clue what to do in molestation cases (although it ought to be common sense that you call the police).
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:09 am
The Church is wealthy enough that there aren't more lawsuits.
I fixed that for you.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm

If you listen to the Mormon Stories interview of therapist Natasha Helfer Parker she states that one of the reasons she won't pay tithing is the LDS church’s tendency to silence and pay off rape victims to keep them quiet and to avoid law suits. I think she would like to say more but she would probably get sued and lose her license.

http://www.mormonstories.org/natasha-he ... therapist/
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:23 am

Law suits like this are easily quashed within the Jell-O Belt.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 pm

It is interesting that it is still ongoing here. In Utah they tend to settle more. They keep this one going and are still ontrack for a jury trial. Partially the law firm pushing this along has a history of taking on large church, including Roman Cathloc, successfully. It is interesting that this has gone before the state supreme court twice and in both cases LDS/K&M got their butts served to them. It does make me wonder if this same case was in Utah if the courts would be as objective.

sc89

Post by sc89 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:18 am

If I remember right from the old boards, the victims and their families refused to settle. They want it to be public.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 am

Good for those families to push this.

I recall reading about how the Federal Government had problems prosecuting Brigham Young because they couldn't find an impartial jury--the whole state was afraid of the guy, and no one dared to vote against him.

It saddens me there are still such things going on with political/financial/religious power being wielded by those in places of power who close their eyes to morality or the hurt such coverups cause.

tryingtogetitright

Post by tryingtogetitright » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 pm

I have read the original complaint and response, as well as some additional information about the case. It is pretty clear that what this mom/rs pres did put children at risk. And dad who was bishop (or branch pres, I don't recall), either actively helped or at least did not take steps to prevent. In my mind there is no doubt at all that both of them should lose their home and all their possessions to the families of the children their son hurt.

The issue is whether the LDS church should be on the hook for the damages. Clearly assigning babysitters is not an RSP function, even when people are using babysitters because they are going on a temple excursion. Should the church be liable when a member asks the RSP for a recommendation and she offers up her son, whom she had good reason to know was a pedophile and preyed on children? Dad (also Bishop) did not disclose to SP his son's issues, and therefore the SP also didn't know to protect people, when the handbook clearly requires a notation on church records (though I don't recall if Dad/Bishop was the bishop at the time the record should have been notated at first).

It comes as no surprise, that the injured parties want the church to be on the financial hook for damages. And in most of the sexual abuse claims, plaintiffs counsel also has a secondary desire to get access to church financial records to make them public.

I find the recent court order allowing testimony that the hotline is set up not to protect children but to protect the church to be interesting because doing that once prompted widespread public appreciation for the new steps to protect children. I'm not sure who would testify about the issue in any factual way. Any expert testimony on why the church did it is surely inadmissable on Daubert grounds? But apparently not.

It is hard to see with the awfulness of the facts related to the offense, how the church could even get a fair hearing on whether anythign the church did contributed to what these members did.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:51 pm

tryingtogetitright wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 pm
I have read the original complaint and response, as well as some additional information about the case. It is pretty clear that what this mom/rs pres did put children at risk. And dad who was bishop (or branch pres, I don't recall), either actively helped or at least did not take steps to prevent. In my mind there is no doubt at all that both of them should lose their home and all their possessions to the families of the children their son hurt.

The issue is whether the LDS church should be on the hook for the damages. Clearly assigning babysitters is not an RSP function, even when people are using babysitters because they are going on a temple excursion. Should the church be liable when a member asks the RSP for a recommendation and she offers up her son, whom she had good reason to know was a pedophile and preyed on children? Dad (also Bishop) did not disclose to SP his son's issues, and therefore the SP also didn't know to protect people, when the handbook clearly requires a notation on church records (though I don't recall if Dad/Bishop was the bishop at the time the record should have been notated at first).

It comes as no surprise, that the injured parties want the church to be on the financial hook for damages. And in most of the sexual abuse claims, plaintiffs counsel also has a secondary desire to get access to church financial records to make them public.

I find the recent court order allowing testimony that the hotline is set up not to protect children but to protect the church to be interesting because doing that once prompted widespread public appreciation for the new steps to protect children. I'm not sure who would testify about the issue in any factual way. Any expert testimony on why the church did it is surely inadmissable on Daubert grounds? But apparently not.

It is hard to see with the awfulness of the facts related to the offense, how the church could even get a fair hearing on whether anythign the church did contributed to what these members did.
Adding to these comments:

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org ... rspective/

This is precisely why I see the church keeping the clergy lay and untrained and using a handbook, rather than employees who are paid representatives of the church, as ward leadership is actually pretty insidious. Bishops, retain a lawyer.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 pm

this is a very good article. Two deep leadership. yep