Turning in TR

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
StarbucksMom

Re: Turning in TR

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 am

WONDERMENT!!! Seeing you back here totally made my day!! The church is true!
Wait...it's actually not, but I am so happy you found us.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 am
HI RED RYDER !! 8-) Hi ENOUGH !! 8-) HI HAGOTH !! 8-) HI EVERYONE !! I missed you all so much!! I'm so very happy to be "home".

Carry on, everyone !! Love you all. :) :) :) - Wndr.
Welcome back Wonder. I miss your thoughtful posts from the old board. I hope you'll make some new ones :D
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 am

Pfffft. Don't give them the satisfaction. You may think you are making a statement, but in a way you are legitimizing their authority - "here is your recommend back you authority figure you". The very fact you are going into a leader's office to hand him back a Recommend to some extent is recognizing that leader's authority. Then the leader gets to make up little stories in his mind about what heinous sin you might have committed that you no longer desire a temple recommend.

Just keep it. Show it to your grandkids someday as an object lesson about the stupidity of giving someone else power over your life. Teach them how you were asked oppressive, invasive questions that violated personal boundaries to get that stupid piece of paper, and show them it was only ever a piece of paper that you shouldn't have sacrificed so much for. Make it a symbol of what you left behind, and teach your kids that you had so little regard for it that you didn't bother taking it back to a so-called religious authority figure.

That's what I'd do.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 am
Pfffft. Don't give them the satisfaction. You may think you are making a statement, but in a way you are legitimizing their authority - "here is your recommend back you authority figure you". The very fact you are going into a leader's office to hand him back a Recommend to some extent is recognizing that leader's authority. Then the leader gets to make up little stories in his mind about what heinous sin you might have committed that you no longer desire a temple recommend.

Just keep it. Show it to your grandkids someday as an object lesson about the stupidity of giving someone else power over your life. Teach them how you were asked oppressive, invasive questions that violated personal boundaries to get that stupid piece of paper, and show them it was only ever a piece of paper that you shouldn't have sacrificed so much for. Make it a symbol of what you left behind, and teach your kids that you had so little regard for it that you didn't bother taking it back to a so-called religious authority figure.

That's what I'd do.
This is a damn fine answer. The truest answer on the face of the earth today. I know it because I feel it in every fiber of my bean.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Not Buying It wrote:

That's what I'd do.
I see it as making a statement. It's like turning in your ticket when you realize the trip you just purchased was all hot air, with no balloon. I can also see keeping an expired TR as a souvenir, in which case when the ward clerk start frantically pestering you to renew it (gotta keep the numbers up, you know), you can refuse to do so and make it clear you have no intention to do that. I'd examine which of those scenarios is most likely to result in finality regarding your position, and I feel turning it in is the strongest message. It is not legitimizing their power; it's sending the message that their idea of "power" is a farce, and the TR is meaningless.

Why keep a Magic Ranger Ring (or whatever) when you realize it's all fiction and that you're sending a message to the Magic Ranger scam program that says you believe in it, because after all, you still have it.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:16 pm
Why keep a Magic Ranger Ring (or whatever) when you realize it's all fiction and that you're sending a message to the Magic Ranger scam program that says you believe in it, because after all, you still have it.
Hey Wait!!! Does my Magic Ranger Ring have an expiration date???
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 pm
Silver Girl wrote:
Yes - didn't you see the coupon in the box? You have to keep buying the, or they don't work any longer. Also, the exact way they work is secret, er, sacred.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am

Why not just light it up?

Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:39 am

wtfluff wrote:
Silver Girl wrote:

Yes they do. You wanted to get the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Pin to get the one that doesn't expire.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 pm

The Beast wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Why not just light it up?

Another valid option. Maybe taking a picture of it being consumed by flames and giving them the pic would send a better message.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Not Buying It wrote:

That's what I'd do.
I thought about this, too. I dunno, the fact I'm even thinking about what to do with it shows it still has some influence on my life. I like your reasonings.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:39 am
wtfluff wrote:
Silver Girl wrote:
Yes they do. You wanted to get the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Pin to get the one that doesn't expire.
No "membership dues" to keep my Decoder Pin active? No bi-annual interviews to prove my "worthiness" do Decode? I'M IN!!!

Wait... Can I still Decode if I don't drink my Ovaltine? Will I shoot my eye out? Son of a *****!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:33 am

Korihor wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 am
Just a random thought. My TR is going to expire in the near future. I was thinking about turning it in to the BP the Sunday before it expires.
Personally, I just let mine expire.
They called me in eventually & I explained why I didn't renew. I also realized that I would not again allow them to call me in without telling me why so I can decide if I want to spend my energy with them or not.

Little by little, I'm seeing more that I don't owe lds leaders ANYTHING. I realize there are plenty of exceptions but some leaders remind me of cops in it for the power ego trip. Like one today visiting our ward randomly called on someone to speak "because he could" and told everyone to only sing one verse (about humility) because his pet peeve is ending late. He wasn't even conducting & made the guy conducting nervous - seemed very power hungry and self-centered.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:05 pm

I too have simply let mine expire. I remain unendowed and temple-unworthy, and I shall never "take out my endowments".
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League