McDonald's allegory

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

McDonald's allegory

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am

I think this was posted here a few months ago, but thought I would repost since I like the allegory so much.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormon ... -allegory/
~2bizE

NOMelgänger

Re: McDonald's allegory

Post by NOMelgänger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:15 pm

No wonder I'm fat, sick, and unhappy...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm craving french fries now!

And lesbian grown organic foods...
Then one day you realise that all you have been doing for years and years is just sitting there watching; mute, dissatisfied and hungry every time you go to McDonald’s and it’s no longer enough. You want to be in restaurants and kitchens and at dining tables with people who share your passion for great, clever, different, beautiful food made from local organic produce from the gardens of lesbians.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Then one day you realise that all you have been doing for years and years is just sitting there watching; mute, dissatisfied and hungry every time you go to McDonald’s and it’s no longer enough. You want to be in restaurants and kitchens and at dining tables with people who share your passion for great, clever, different, beautiful food made from local organic produce from the gardens of lesbians.
Although not well known in the Mormon corridor, lesbian farmers grow the most succulent organic produce.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:57 am

Don't you just hate it when McDonalds' sales staff go on a rant about so-called "NutraNazis" who have the effrontery to ask about the grams of fat?

The clincher is when they seek to prove their point by declaring that the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is the truest in its class, then to drive their point home, they quote the Hamburgler. Even if that seems strange, you know you need to wolf it all down because you have a darling McMuffin at home who would be upset if you went on a diet.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 am

There is a great movie on the founding of McDonald's on Netflix called "The Founder" that shows how the McDonald's brothers got screwed by Ray Kroc. Sort of reminds me of how Brigham screwed everyone else out of leading the original church and made it a mega-corporation.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 am
There is a great movie on the founding of McDonald's on Netflix called "The Founder" that shows how the McDonald's brothers got screwed by Ray Kroc. Sort of reminds me of how Brigham screwed everyone else out of leading the original church and made it a mega-corporation.
Yes, both Ray Kroc and Brigham Young were the tyrants needed at the time to preserve and grow their economic and religious empires, respectively.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:35 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

Although not well known in the Mormon corridor, lesbian farmers grow the most succulent organic produce.
That reminds me of the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Debra's sister becomes a nun. The bit in the script is too long to share here, but it's episode 4:6.

I love Kiwi Mormon.

Now that my perspective is Taoist, I go to McDonald's having dined and already satisfied. I sit and look at the people dining on the unhealthy food and listen to them discuss the menu with wonder. It's amazing to me that this toxicity is fulfilling to them. I remember that it was fulfilling to me and I marvel at the chasm. I sit and enjoy the presence of my neighbors and nibble on some apple slices. I might talk about what I appreciate about the apple slices, but I don't stay for the whole meal. Or, if there's a Sunday where they're only serving Big Mac meals without even a possibility of choosing milk as my beverage, I don't go.

It's assumed that I stay away, because there's some unrepented sin that's making me feel too ashamed to come inside and enjoy the Big Macs. No, it's because I'm out in the country enjoying an organic locavore feast and sipping iced tea. Taoism holds that restaurants such as McDonald's are part of the Tao and to be respected as such. That simply means it fills some sort of need. So, that is what I do. I'm grateful my family, friends and colleagues have a place that makes them feel full and satisfied. I've mentioned how unhealthy most of the food is, but that just makes them cry. So, I drop it and they know I've found food that is healthier and more nourishing. If they want to know about it, they'll come to me. I leave it at that.

I've come across the comparison to McDonald's, before. I made it myself when I was TBM. I don't consider it a complete insult. However, I do think it's interesting. There is probably between 5-10% of the church's doctrines I consider acceptably healthy. I'd probably say the same for the McDonald's menu, as well. Not a full meal, not a balanced diet, not filling, not nourishing. Not nearly enough. This analogy also holds well in that I plan to be the type of Mormon who just visits on special occasions. Not that McDonald's would be my special occasion place, but I plan on visiting that establishment about as often.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

PalmSprings

Post by PalmSprings » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

The Allegory has more holes in it than Swiss cheese, but that line about lesbians is truly a gem. I give the author credit for the effort even though reading it overall was not very satisfying.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:30 pm

Another good connection is how the Church is a great place food kids. McD's is a great place for kids. McD's knows that if you can hook them while they're young, you will hook them for life.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14 pm

I'm trying to eat healthy at McDonald's, but the only thing in the menu is fruity oatmeal.

The first one was good, for oatmeal.

The next time it was watery.

The next was slimy and gluey and cold.

I can't stomach it again. There's better oatmeal at home. It's less expensive too.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm

This is a really well written article that I am guessing many of us can identify with. I see it as an article that can be applied to any belief system, and encourages critical thinking about faith. I posted it to Facebook (I still attend and haven't posted much about the church yet) and it is interesting seeing sad faces and comments from TBMs about how they are offended that they are being compared to McDonald's. I expected this, but I still wish more people would comment on the substance of the article rather than focus on the comparison itself.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:57 am
Don't you just hate it when McDonalds' sales staff go on a rant about so-called "NutraNazis" who have the effrontery to ask about the grams of fat?

The clincher is when they seek to prove their point by declaring that the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is the truest in its class, then to drive their point home, they quote the Hamburgler. Even if that seems strange, you know you need to wolf it all down because you have a darling McMuffin at home who would be upset if you went on a diet.
This is art.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:54 pm

didyoumythme wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm
This is a really well written article that I am guessing many of us can identify with. I see it as an article that can be applied to any belief system, and encourages critical thinking about faith. I posted it to Facebook (I still attend and haven't posted much about the church yet) and it is interesting seeing sad faces and comments from TBMs about how they are offended that they are being compared to McDonald's. I expected this, but I still wish more people would comment on the substance of the article rather than focus on the comparison itself.
One thing Mormonism lacks is continuous improvement. C.I. is the lifeblood of industry. For some reason I don't understand, TBMs completely are oblivious to any need to improve the church and have no desire to make things better. If it isn't the old way, it is no way.
~2bizE

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:54 pm
didyoumythme wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm
One thing Mormonism lacks is continuous improvement. C.I. is the lifeblood of industry. For some reason I don't understand, TBMs completely are oblivious to any need to improve the church and have no desire to make things better. If it isn't the old way, it is no way.
One thing present-day Mormonism seems to lack is a sense of humor about itself. At least, I used to consider that the difference between SL County Mormons and Utah County Mormons. However, I'm not so sure, anymore. I don't know when it happened, or perhaps it was just the household I was brought up in, but an article such as this blog post would have had us laughing and then talking, at least around our dinner table. And you know what? These things need to be discussed.

This analogy really hits home for me, because most of the doctrines of the church are nutritionally barren and, in fact, are nutritionally counter- productive and no amount of faith is going to, suddenly or slowly, make the Big Mac suddenly become a healthy, life giving option. Invoking faith in the Savior--which I guess would be some sort of blood thinking medication--won't eliminate the fat and salt from the french fries. The people who are dissatisfied with the church have waken up to the reality of their expanding waistlines and realized the fare at McDonald's is slowly killing us.