New Church -- Soliciting Requests

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Rob4Hope

New Church -- Soliciting Requests

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:31 am

I wanna look for a new congregation to hang out with and do Bible study and all that.

I considered the "Community of Christ" for a little (because Grant Palmer gave them a good review), but anything associated with JS dies right there. But I have a social and spiritual need that does exist, despite my total disillusionment with LDS theology.

Anyone out there attending a church somewhere?.....any suggestions or recommendations?

Enoch Witty

Re: New Church -- Soliciting Requests

Post by Enoch Witty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 am

I've been one time each to a CoC, Unitarian Universalist, and Liberal Quaker meetings. I liked the UUs best. I might go back some time.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am

we go here occasionally

http://valleylife.church/

this isn't a good option for you since we're in AZ. My point is just find somewhere you feel comfortable. I discard/disagree with about 1/2 of what they say. that's OK. I just ignore and focus on the good parts. It's the opposite of LDS culture, but an A-La-Carte method is totally acceptable.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:51 am

My church is on top a hill. I get all the spiritual energy I need and some just in nature. Sometimes I take along a book or write. Best church ever!
But if you are looking for a community you might start with a web search and find what is close and then go on their websites. Most have them and you can see what they teach, their activities and sometimes if they are small enough they will post pictures of the members. I did that years ago when I was contemplating a move and was looking for a way to meet people. I even called and talked to some of the ministers. All were very welcoming.
Good luck. Please return and report!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Enoch Witty wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 am
I've been one time each to a CoC, Unitarian Universalist, and Liberal Quaker meetings. I liked the UUs best. I might go back some time.
I've been to CoC twice and the UU once. If you're looking for a very open-minded, inclusive, down-to-earth kind of Christianity the CoC is worth checking out. I was served the sacrament by a female apostle. I don't remember any mention of Joseph Smith there and they certainly don't worship him. Even if you don't end up there you will feel welcomed because many of them are disaffected Brighamites, so they understand where you're coming from. Also, they do scripture study but they treat scriptures more like the works of inspired men than magical documents. There was no reference to the Bible at my visit to the UU, but I've only been once. They were also very friendly and down to earth, and composed mostly of exMos. My experience with more evangelical kinds of Christianity was less appealing. In the end I decided that I just don't like sitting in church anymore.

There's also a very interesting group called Oasis that is a non-faith community. It's sort of like a church but with interesting lectures and folk music performances instead of sermons and hymns: http://www.saltlakeoasis.org/ They don't have a meeting listed for this week. My guess is that they're all going somewhere to watch the eclipse.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 pm

I also want something new, something better for my social and spiritual needs. I find my ward so repressed. I get very, very little out of church. I do zero socializing with members. If I make it through 3 hours of church, I am so exhausted that I don't want to speak to anyone or do anything. I just want to go home. I would like a church that has a short message and then meaningful activities to socialize. Where I live, there are very few other church options.
~2bizE

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:50 pm

If I were looking for a new church (which I definitely am not) I would look toward the African Methodist Episcopal churches. I attended one once and it was totally fun. The music was terrific and everyone participated. The sermon was short and applicable to what's going on today. The people were friendly and sincere. There was one other white woman there, obviously a regular sitting with her friends, and she looked happy and totally at home. I wanted to be her.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson