Update on Me

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Leukarktos

Update on Me

Post by Leukarktos » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:55 pm

It's been well over 3 years since I moved to Utah. When I first got here, I attended church a few times, but felt mostly invisible there, and like nobody cared. Since I didn't know anybody in the ward, and I didn't believe in the Church any more, I completely stopped going to church. Besides, it was boring!

However, I do still listen to lots of Mormon-related podcasts. Mostly unorthodox, NOMish, or ex-Mormon podcasts, but having to do with Mormonism nonetheless. Even though I don't believe in the Church, I do find it fascinating, and these podcasters and the people they talk with have all kinds of interesting things to say.

Oddly, my family very seldom talk to me about the Church or try reactivating me. For a while they would ask me if I had a calling yet. My mother once asked why I don't go to church. It was late at night and I was heading to bed, so I said maybe we could talk about it another time. That was a couple of years ago, and she has not asked again. My aunt who lives in the next city asked once if I was going to church. When I said "no," she said "sad." But other than that, it's the elephant in the room that nobody talks about.

Now that I'm in Utah, I find myself angrier about the Church than I used to be. Maybe because it's practically omnipresent here. I'm pretty good at differentiating between the Church as an institution and the people who are members of the Church. Lots of Mormons are good people, and I get along well with many of them. But the institution... boy it sure makes me mad sometimes! Especially when it influences people to do the wrong thing (like shunning LGBTQ people) who otherwise would behave decently.

One good thing about Utah -- the PostMo community. I don't attend their meetings or activities that often, but when I do I really enjoy them. Lots of good people, and it's nice to know that there are people you can talk to who understand what it's like to leave the Church.

Mostly my life consists of working, paying bills, helping my mom out a bit, that sort of thing. Not terribly exciting, but it is what it is! ;)

Peace,

Leukarktos

alas

Re: Update on Me

Post by alas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:57 am

Good to hear from you.

It is different living as a nonbeliever in Utah. I stayed active as an unbeliever, until we got stationed at Hill AFB in Utah. Then attending church just made me crazy. We moved out of Utah and I was active again....until we moved back. Utah Mormons are really a different animal.

oximormon

Post by oximormon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Leukarktos,

Good to hear from one of the 'old timers', and to hear that you have adapted to life in the mormon corridor.
Its always surprising to me how different wards can be, some are almost smothering with friendliness, and other wards people wont even give you the time of day. At least it gave you the final motivation to get out for the boredom.

Its funny how the elephant in the room is so obvious, but no one wants to go anywhere near it!
as long as they leave you in peace, all is well!

Oxi

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:31 pm

I'm glad you found a way to make it work in Utah. It's definitely a different culture there. Even as a TBM moving in from out of state it's a hard swallow. I came back as a non believer and couldn't handle it. I couldn't take it and had to move out. Being around people who share your thoughts makes all the difference sometimes.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:08 pm

So good to see you Leukarktos!

I think many elephants are best left undiscussed, especially when you already know you will have to conclude to agree to disagree.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:49 am

Leukarktos wrote:Oddly, my family very seldom talk to me about the Church or try reactivating me. For a while they would ask me if I had a calling yet. My mother once asked why I don't go to church. It was late at night and I was heading to bed, so I said maybe we could talk about it another time. That was a couple of years ago, and she has not asked again. My aunt who lives in the next city asked once if I was going to church. When I said "no," she said "sad." But other than that, it's the elephant in the room that nobody talks about.
I hear you on this. It's like somebody ordered radio silence or something. For the most part, that goes for my neighbors too. But really, what are they going to say?

Good to have you at NOM 2.0!
Zack
Last edited by Zack Tacorin Dos on Sat May 18, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aerin

Post by aerin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:14 pm

So glad to hear you are well and making it work.