Question: Why did JS do it?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
SeeNoEvil

Question: Why did JS do it?

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Question: If JS made up this whole church and BOM up then why do it in the first place? Think about it.... it really was one crazy idea. I can't imagine what JS was thinking when he decided to write a crazy long boring book, call it scripture from god found on secret ancient gold plates and sell it to people who actually believed and form a church that is still going strong almost 200 years later. How in the heck did this happen??! Do we really know what his intentions were? Who was it that really took the church into the profit making business and made it a religious empire? Was it JS or BY.... or someone or some other event? Thoughts?
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

wtfluff

Re: Question: Why did JS do it?

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Why?

Sex, Money, Power.

Yup, that's about it.

(Yes, that's over-simplification, but I believe those three words answer a lot of questions when it comes to cult-like organizational leaders.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Talking as a career path beat manual labor. The money sex and power came with his chosen con.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm

He developed excellent skills in fraud during his treasure digging days.
He would con people out of their money telling them the treasure they were digging for had sunken deeper into the earth and that is why they never found the treasure. He built on that thrill he got defrauding people and created the BoM and the religion.
~2bizE

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Because eventually he believed himself.

sparky

Post by sparky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

It's not one thing he did. He didn't sit down one day and decide to start a church with all the insane crap it had by the end. He was savant BS'er from his youth, and it all just started growing line upon line, BS upon BS.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him and told him to!

So he said...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:06 pm
Question: If JS made up this whole church and BOM up then why do it in the first place? Think about it.... it really was one crazy idea. I can't imagine what JS was thinking when he decided to write a crazy long boring book, call it scripture from god found on secret ancient gold plates and sell it to people who actually believed and form a church that is still going strong almost 200 years later. How in the heck did this happen??! Do we really know what his intentions were? Who was it that really took the church into the profit making business and made it a religious empire? Was it JS or BY.... or someone or some other event? Thoughts?
Why stop there? By the end of his life he was riding a white horse around town in a military suit as a self-proclaimed Lieutenant General, brandishing a sword and had himself anointed king of the world. It wasn’t just a church, he was a megalomaniac and his narcissistic tendencies continued to escalate.

The remnant (church) we have now is just one whitewashed, diluted component of his overall fanaticism.

As said above, it started and snowballed, and the more success he had the more he believed it himself until he flamed out.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Some believe that everything Joseph said was real. Others hold to the pious fraud theory that he truly believed what he was making up. Historian Chris Smith believes that Joseph was a petty criminal from a family of petty criminals and that starting a new religion was a bold step up from bogus treasure digging schemes as a way to bring in the loot.

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/wp-con ... th2015.mp3
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm
Why?

Sex, Money, Power.

Yup, that's about it.

(Yes, that's over-simplification, but I believe those three words answer a lot of questions when it comes to cult-like organizational leaders.)
Can it really be that simple!

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 pm
He developed excellent skills in fraud during his treasure digging days.
He would con people out of their money telling them the treasure they were digging for had sunken deeper into the earth and that is why they never found the treasure. He built on that thrill he got defrauding people and created the BoM and the religion.
dogbite wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm
Talking as a career path beat manual labor. The money sex and power came with his chosen con.
For a simple farm boy with no formal education he definitely had an active imagination. To many hours in the barn shoveling you know what gave him way to many ideas I'd say! Maybe some schizophrenia going on?

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:55 am

Why did L. Ron Hubbard do it? Why did Jim Jones do it? David Koresh? There have been hundreds of these guys across the years. Members act like Joseph Smith is the only guy who ever started a church, but there have been plenty of guys just like him.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 am

I appreciate this question, its probably number 1 on DW's list of Q's to me. I think her question is more like: Why not just live a normal life unless God really did direct the work? or How could something so good come from a con?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 am

sparky wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm
It's not one thing he did. He didn't sit down one day and decide to start a church with all the insane crap it had by the end. He was savant BS'er from his ... line upon line, BS upon BS.
:lol:
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

slavereeno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:05 am
I appreciate this question, its probably number 1 on DW's list of Q's to me. I think her question is more like: Why not just live a normal life unless God really did direct the work? or How could something so good come from a con?
Sure, but what about other "prophets" that DW does not believe? How about Ellen Harmon White founding the Seventh Day Adventists and claiming to be a prophet? What about Mary Baker Eddy and the Christian Scientists and her visions? Should we develop a testimony of these women who talked to God? David Koresh of the Branch Davidians claimed to be inspired by God right up to his death in a fire in Waco, Texas. He sealed his testimony with his blood. Was he conning anyone?

How about the Islamic prophet Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him). He founded a new religion that acknowledged the Christian Bible, produced his own revealed book of scripture, participated in polygamy, and then failed to produce a good succession plan leading to rivalries that exist today. Wouldn't it have been easier if Muhammed had simply remained a successful merchant and not upended the social order of Mecca and Medina with his revelations from the angel Gabriel?

Read "Rough Stone Rolling" from Richard Bushman. It is openly sold at Deseret Book and is a fair look at the life of Joseph Smith without being a paean to his righteousness. Busman goes over most of the problems and certainly does his best to explain problems with polyandry, revelations, translation, and finances. I came away with my testimony confirmed gone, but can still acknowledge that Joseph probably did believe his own baloney. As he got older he seemed to double down on his justifications.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 am

He saw a problem (the fractured state of Christianity), realized he had some significant talents (for influencing people and spinning BS) and quite likely thought he was indeed called of god. As others have mentioned, it's a scenario that has happened and continues to happen all the time.

Joseph was just a bit more successful than most.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

slavereeno wrote:
I think her question is more like: Why not just live a normal life unless God really did direct the work? or How could something so good come from a con?
Live a "normal life"? When you're a conman, "normal life" is conning other people to "make your living."

Why don't NFL quarterback's live a "normal life"?

(See where I'm going here?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Forgive me if I ruffle a few feathers here with the "cult" word (hope I can use this word) but here is an interesting article on cult leaders. I am trying to be sensitive here because I know there are some here who might not agree with the cult association and might be offended. That is not my intent to offend. I think this article is worth mentioning because I feel in this case it applies. With that being said, the author has identified and compiled a long list of what he calls dangerous character traits found in leaders of this type. Of course we weren't around JS but I suspect he had many of these traits. Anyhow, it is an interesting read and one that I think we can all identify with as knowing someone personally, read about historically or even in our current news who might exhibit many of the same behaviors. Maybe this will help in understanding how JS who is portrayed as a seemingly ordinary humble farm boy was definitely not ordinary and could have crafted such a scam and got away with it. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sp ... lt-leaders

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Simple, he hated farm work! His family needed followers to take care of them.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:14 pm

slavereeno wrote:
This is exactly what I used to say! I just went straight to my good ole 100% sure true answer..... "God did it". I never asked could there be some other answer other than God.