Am I the only one

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Rebel

Am I the only one

Post by Rebel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

Am I the only one who obeys all church rules including tithing but cannot bring myself to cut out coffee ??? I go to the temple but feel guilty !! I look at it like JS didn't follow a lot of stuff should I ? I would appreciate any & all input on this. Thanks.

wtfluff

Re: Am I the only one

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am

You might in fact be the only one. :D

But... If you are obeying ALL church rules, except for coffee, I think you're likely doing much better than the vast majority of mormons. Drop the guilt, and carry on!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am

I think coffee is quickly becoming the cola of 1960's Mormonism. You know, against the WoW but some still drink it.

I know of two ladies that hang out with my wife who have admitted they drink coffee. One is a convert and never fully gave up Satan's juice and took it upon herself and decided it was her choice. The other woman has digestive issues and coffee was recommended by her doctor. This woman actually went to the Bishop to discuss if it was ok and the Bishop agreed with the Doctor and gave her a coffee pass. Both are temple attending members.

If you're feeling guilty may I suggest you review the 1845 Mormon Pioneer packing list:

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_ ... /hrsab.htm

If you're still feeling guilty, I would suggest reading through the history of Joseph Smith's word of wisdom hypocrisy.

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech18.htm
Last edited by Red Ryder on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 am
Bishop agreed with the Doctor and gave her a coffee pass.
:D :D :D

The "Mormon Coffee Card" (MCC): It's akin to "yesterday's" "Medical Marijuana Card" (MMC) in California: Ask, and ye shall receive!

Doctor: Why do you need a MMC?
Patient: Well, uh, you see, um... I have a hangnail?
Doctor: Oh, I see. Hangnails can be VERY painful. Here's your card.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am
The "Mormon Coffee Card" (MCC): It's akin to "yesterday's" "Medical Marijuana Card" (MMC) in California: Ask, and ye shall receive!

My wife was actually on a jury that convicted a doctor for that sort of behavior because he wasn't following the law.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

Jeffret wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 am
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am

My wife was actually on a jury that convicted a doctor for that sort of behavior because he wasn't following the law.
Hmm. What happens to that conviction now with recreational legality?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am

How are you able to attend the temple; and why on earth would you pay tithing, after resigning last spring/summer?

I am very sensitive about trolls/being lied to on a forum where people are sharing really deep and often painful emotions.

Rebel
Post Resignation
Report this post Quote
Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:23 am

Well for me life feels pretty good Post Resignation !!! But here is a really strange thing happening to me , My TBM wife wants me to reconsider being Baptized again !!!! (wait a minute) I left the church for a reason I don't care to reinflict pain on myself. I have attended church to support her maybe that was the wrong thing to do ??? Same ole threat that hasn't worked the last three times she has tried it , that being the divorce threat !! I don't know she just never seems to give up . I am feeling like I have more control over my life now and don't need the church to tell me what to do . I believe in the basics of Christianity and that is good enough for me. Anyone have any strategies ???

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am
Jeffret wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:08 am
At the time of the trial, recreational marijuana was legal. The jury wrestled with those considerations. There were a couple of arguments they dealt with. One was that he was responsible for adhering to the law as it existed at the time he performed those actions. The doctor testified in his own behalf, strongly expressing that he felt everyone should be able to partake of marijuana. My wife said that those statements hurt his case. It wasn't his place to decide what the law should be and have free reign to implement it according to his beliefs. Secondly, even now (or at the time of the trial) with recreational marijuana legal he still broke the still existing law regarding medical marijuana.
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am
How are you able to attend the temple; and why on earth would you pay tithing, after resigning last spring/summer?
Good question.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm

Starbucks mom : I am not a troll I was asking something legitamate sorry but you seem really angry ! Hope this is received in the spirit that I received it !

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am

Generally speaking unless a law that legalizes previously criminal behavior grants amnesty then those in prison from breaking the law remain in prison. As far as the law is concerned they broke the law as it existed at the time and were duly convicted.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am
Good catch SM. I obviously didn't realize who I was replying to. I guess I don't have to feel too bad about my threadjack. :geek:
Rebel wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm
Starbucks mom : I am not a troll I was asking something legitamate sorry but you seem really angry ! Hope this is received in the spirit that I received it !
Well, if you aren't trolling, please explain to us how you still attend the temple after resigning. There are quite a few of us who'd like to be in on that sort of secret so we can see our children get married.

Jeffret wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am
At the time of the trial, recreational marijuana was legal. The jury wrestled with those considerations. There were a couple of arguments they dealt with. One was that he was responsible for adhering to the law as it existed at the time he performed those actions. The doctor testified in his own behalf, strongly expressing that he felt everyone should be able to partake of marijuana. My wife said that those statements hurt his case. It wasn't his place to decide what the law should be and have free reign to implement it according to his beliefs. Secondly, even now (or at the time of the trial) with recreational marijuana legal he still broke the still existing law regarding medical marijuana.
Dravin wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Generally speaking unless a law that legalizes previously criminal behavior grants amnesty then those in prison from breaking the law remain in prison. As far as the law is concerned they broke the law as it existed at the time and were duly convicted.
Interesting, and makes sense. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it does make sense.

At least we won't have to worry about such things with MCC cards. :P (That is, of course, unless they outlaw coffee in Utah, which honestly wouldn't really surprise me.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander