The trouble with religion is......

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

The trouble with religion is......

Post by deacon blues » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 am

I read this quote last night and it has me thinking. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The trouble with religion is that we seldom get the opportunity to form our own beliefs. If we are religious then most of our views are shaped for us by our parents, school, or by society.-- Sig Sawyer
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Re: The trouble with religion is......

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I could write a sizable book on this topic, as could most of us here who were duped by a fundamentalist and dogmatic belief system that has caused us much pain, time, money and many other aspects of our lives.

For me it boils down to religion supporting tribalism, holding back the human race from reaching a more altruistic state of acceptance and scientific progress.
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 pm

...religion has problems with all the other religions, and/or non-religions
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 am

...that once it becomes organized into a hierarchical structure that requires money from its adherents and adoration of its leaders, it begins to fail at its original purpose of improving the lives of common people. Its goals become focused on making the organization stronger and providing its leaders with more power.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm

It has occurred to me that one possibility is that God wants us each to find or create our own religion. It makes as much sense as anything else that I've heard. So I look at the evidence, and use my own reason to try to understand what God/Creator/Reality is like. I've learned that nobody (or at least a very few) really wants to know what I believe in, so I don't feel obliged to convert people, although I'm curious with what others believe. I don't think there is a market for "The Church of Believe What you Want."
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.